IU From a Freshman’s Perspective: For the Last Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Hi HerCampus! With the semester and year winding down, there are still some things this freshman has failed to do her first year at IU. Food has really been one of my top five priorities here in Bloomington, but I have yet to venture out of Gresham and Wright Food Courts.

I’ve heard great things about Collins and Read, but have never found the time to make the journey to both. Hopefully, I can squeeze that in while I still have the privilege of meal points.

I have also failed to eat at one of the many great ethnic restaurants on 4th street. Instead of trying new things when a group of friends goes out to dinner, we always seem to settle on Noodles or Chipotle, and don’t get me wrong I love both, but it’s about time we start mixing it up a little.

Finally my last wish concerning food is not so much my wish, but one that my roommate has for me. She’s a business major, and she practically lives in the SPEA library. She raves about those paninis they sell, and that the SPEA library is the best place to study. I’m still a little skeptical about this last adventure. I always feel instantly judged in Kelley, like they can smell the fact I’m not a business major.

Another place I feel like I haven’t taken advantage of is the Union. It’s one of the biggest Unions in the Big Ten, yet I’ve been to about three rooms. I’ve heard about so many secret passageways and rooms and great study spots. I need to go exploring and maybe find my own secret study space. Another great resource I haven’t utilized is beautiful, downtown Bloomington. With so many one-of-a-kind boutiques, restaurants, and other knick-knack stores, I can do some damage there. Maybe that’s an adventure I’ll save for Mom and Dad’s credit card.

Even though my freshman bucket list isn’t complete, I’ve also done really great things this year that my best friends at home would coin “so college.” I’ve attended great shows at the Auditorium, met really great people both on my floor and just around IU, discovered how many places in Bloomington actually deliver, and just tried to make the best out of freshman year. It was a learning experience for sure, with new living quarters, new classes, teachers and learning methods, and just trying to find my place in a school of 40,000.

I can’t wait to see what the next three years brings. Thanks for being here through it all, listening to me complain, and letting me share my experiences.

For the last time,
Nicole the Freshman

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.