Interpreting the Text

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Why is it that texting is almost like it’s own language?  How come one letter can mean so many things? And why are there so many different ways to be laughing when it comes to text messaging? 

The “k.”—Beware of the “k.” especially if you are a boy receiving this text from a girl.  This does not mean, “okay.”  It means that whoever sent you this text is royally pissed off at you and you better find out what you did quick before you get a “Bye.”

“Haha, Ha, Lol, Lmfao, Rofl”—Who knew there were so many different ways one person could laugh?  Is “haha” just a giggle?  Are you really laugh out loud when you send the “lol” text.  And if something is really funny do you literally roll on the floor?  I would hope not.  I’ve recently had texts that go something like this, “I literally just lol’ed.”  Well I thought that was the whole point when you sent me “lol.”  So all the other times you weren’t really laughing?

“Sure, Fine, Whatever”—One time I asked my mom for a favor and she replied back, “sure.”  I immediately called her and said, “Mom, what did I do?  If you don’t want to do it for me it’s fine.”  She replied, “I said sure.”  Well there’s your first problem.  “Sure, fine, and whatever,” are sarcastic remarks.  They don’t literally mean what you think they mean.

“Ya, Yeah, Mhm, Mmk”—When you have nothing else to say, or the conversation takes a turn for the worse, start using these words.  When someone sends you “lol,” and you have no clue what you’re supposed to say to that, just “mhm” it.  You can never go wrong with these “filler” words. 

“I have to talk to you about something…”– Why is it that this phrase is never followed by anything good?  No one ever texts you this and follows it by something good like, “I really loved your outfit today.”  I feel that it’s like the dramatic music in movies right before the killer pops out of the closet.  You receive this text and your heart sinks.

“I don’t really feel like talking.” – I feel like this text can go both ways.  If you’re a guy receiving this from a girl, she’s totally lying.  She really does feel like talking, she just doesn’t want to admit it to you.  She wants you to keep talking even though she says the opposite… most of the time.  If you’re a girl receiving this message from a guy, he literally means he doesn’t want to talk.  Don’t text 300 times until he is forced to block your number.  When he’s ready to talk, he will.  

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes
Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.