Style > Beauty

How to Perfect Your Skincare Routine on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Recently, I’ve been on a one-woman mission to get a grip on my overspending. However, the process has been slow-going and more challenging than I originally anticipated. I have been working hard to be more contentious of how and where I spend my money. In the process, I have learned a lot about myself and my money habits.

My shopping addiction started with clothes and has since trickled down into things like makeup, shoes, and home decor. When it comes to buying new makeup, the most exciting part is the first time you get to test the product. There is nothing like that first swipe of a great shade of lipstick or finding a new concealer that kicks your under-eye bags to the curb.

On the other hand, my excitement for makeup never carried over in terms of skincare. I love the look of fresh and flawless skin, but I could not bring myself to put in the time to achieve it. Upon arriving at IU, I decided to cut way back on the amount of makeup I was wearing. In high school, I had nice skin without much effort and could wear a full face of makeup without having to worry about breakouts. That was not the case when I arrived at college. My skin was in bad shape and I didn’t feel confident enough to go out without covering up my spots.

Finally, I decided to take control of my skin. Was it easy? No. Was it worth it? Definitely. Since the dawn of my skincare enlightenment, I have spent less money on makeup, gained a lot of confidence, and have been way more inclined to skip the makeup all together and let my face breathe. Here are a couple tips to get you on your way to achieving the glow of your dreams.

1.Pick a routine and stick to it!

It does no good to start a skin care regimen and then forget about it two days later. An easy way to create a new habit is to link it to a habit you already have. For example, telling yourself you will wash your face at night right after brushing your teeth will increase the chances of your new habit sticking. Results don’t happen overnight, but they’re worth it when they do.

2.Expensive isn’t always best, 

On this journey, I have tested out countless products. My go-to cleanser is the Garnier Micellar Water (Target, $7). Another favorite of mine is the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Cleanser (CVS $10). Both of these products are incredible for your skin and your wallet. 

3.Listen to your skin.

All skin is different! Experimenting with different products for different skin types is the best way to figure out your perfect combo.

*Title Image Source