Hoppy Easter: Julia Child’s Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs and Egg-Dye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Around this time of year, my family still comes together and dye eggs, an Easter tradition. Yes, even though I’m 21 and my sister is 17- you can never be too old to spill dye all over the table. However, the Easter bunny doesn’t hide the eggs for us anymore after the incident when we lost one of the eggs and couldn’t find it for a couple days… 

I’m not sure there is an art to Easter egg dyeing, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. I think that the “mistakes” are what give them personality. Call it shabby chic if you will. You know there is always at least one that turns brown and by the end all the containers are the same muddy brown dye. However, as we have grown older we have learned to master the art a “little” better. This year we experimented with scotch tape and rubber bands, which actually kind of worked!

The art of the perfect Easter egg is not necessarily it’s decoration, but rather the quality of the inside. Julia Child believes there is an exact timing when making the perfect hard-boiled egg. The good thing about this recipe is that the shell easily comes off and you don’t have to pick the egg apart. 

Usually my mom makes them for us and then we go crazy, but this year I was in charge of making them. Unfortunately, since our family will be eating them during tomorrow’s crazy festivities, I had to master the art of making 30 hard-boiled eggs, at once. I only cracked two eggs, I’d call that a success. 

Now I got to go prep the house with my mom for 30 people! ahhhh!  

Julia Child’s Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs

Ingredients:
1 Dozen eggs (or more)

Water
A really big pot 
Note: water should cover the eggs by 1 inch, so use a tall pan, and limit
cooking to 2 dozen eggs at a time. (I definitely didn't do this and turned out fine) 

1. Lay the eggs in the pan and add the amount of cold water specified. Set over high heat and bring 
just to the boil; remove from heat, cover the pan, and let sit exactly 17 minutes. 
2. When the time is up, transfer the eggs to the bowl of ice cubes and water. Chill for 2 minutes 
while bringing the cooking water to the boil again. (This 2 minute chilling shrinks the body of 
the egg from the shell.) 3. Transfer the eggs (6 at a time only) to the boiling water, bring to the
boil again, and let boil for 10 seconds - this expands the shell from the egg. Remove eggs, and 
place back into the ice water. 4. Chilling the eggs promptly after each step prevents that dark 
line from forming, and if time allows, leave the eggs in the ice water after the last step for 15 
to 20 minutes. Chilled eggs are easier to peel, as well. 

My work station- I LOVE my mom’s kitchen (so much SPACE!!!)

Hot to cold to hot to cold! 
Here are some crazy pictures of my sister, her boyfriend and I mastering the art of egg decorating! 

That is a Jesus egg…

Source: RecipeSource

Happy Easter and 
Bon Appétit!
Chef Maggie

Check out more of Chef Maggie’s blogs at http://www.mycookingloveaffair.com/. 

Alyssa Goldman is a junior at Indiana University majoring in journalism and gender studies. Alyssa aspires to be an editor at a women’s magazine writing about women’s issues and feminism. Alyssa has served as city & state editor and special publications editor for the Indiana Daily Student, IU’s award-winning student newspaper. She has also interned at Chicago Parent magazine, the IU Office of University Communications and Today’s Chicago Woman magazine. Currently, she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, Ind., and loves being a Campus Correspondent for HC! In her spare time, Alyssa enjoys watching The Bad Girls Club, The Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives (of any city); listening to Lady Gaga; drinking decaf skinny vanilla soy lattes from Starbucks; reading magazines; and shopping and eating with her girls on IU’s infamous Kirkwood Avenue.