HCIU’s Response to the Fake Sexual Consent Signs on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Over the past week, Indiana University and the Indiana University Police Department have been investigating the fake sexual consent signs that were hung up around IU’s campus. The signs are photoshopped university-sponsored signs that were created to replace the university’s policy with an offensive stance on consent claiming that women “cry rape” and use it as an excuse for sleeping around. The investigation is ongoing and the university has made multiple statements assuring people that consent is not a joke and that this type of behavior is not tolerated.

HCIU’s Stance:

Consent should be taken very seriously and university-sponsored signs should not be tampered with. Many women suffer with after-effects from being raped or sexually assaulted and claiming that all women use consent as a way to “cry rape” is an inaccurate generalization. In an environment where casual sex is common, remembering to ask, “do you want to?” or “is this okay?” is crucial. Bottom line: Consent is attractive. Being sexually responsible and asking for verbal consent is an ideal quality in a college-aged individual. In order to eradicate this issue that occurs in universities worldwide, leading by example is the first step.  A few words can make a world of difference.

*Title Image Source