HCIU’s Complete Guide to Super Bowl Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Every year, like clockwork the first Sunday of February comes around and we look around and see the men in our lives full of pure excitement and joy, this phenomenon is known as Super Bowl Sunday. We watch the games, listen along as the rules are explained to us over and over all the while waiting for halftime so we can see if anyone can beat the amazingness that was Queen Bey two years ago (spoiler alert: no one can).  This year is different; HCIU is here to help you with a breakdown of all your Super Bowl need to knows!

The Teams:

The Seattle Seahawks: This young team is looking for their second Super Bowl win in a row and they are a force to be reckoned with! Their defense is what sets them apart and even if you’re not a football enthusiast you must know about Richard Sherman going off on reporter, Erin Andrews last year after they won the NFC Championship game. On offense they have a really strong (not to mention ridiculously good-looking) quarterback in Russell Wilson and running back Marshawn Lynch (also known as “Beast mode”) who infamously loves skittles and hates the press.

The New England Patriots: This team has a legacy as well as something to prove. They had a rough start to the season but were able to regain momentum only to be accused after the AFC title game of deflating balls, however they still have some of the best players in the NFL and a lot of pride. We all know who Tom Brady is (even if it’s only as the guy who’s married to Gisele Bundchen) and he has been said to be one of the greatest QB’s of all time. Catching the majority of the balls thrown by Brady is Tight End Rob Gronkowski who is quickly becoming America’s favorite “dumb jock”.

The Halftime Show:

Katy Perry is headlining this year’s Halftime show and I for one cannot wait! She is known for constantly reinventing herself and if any of her awards show performances are any inclination we are in for quite the spectacle. She is sure to put on a great show with the help of Lenny Kravitz (American Woman anyone?!)

The Food:

Everyone’s favorite part of Super Bowl Sunday (if you say no, you’re lying). This is your last chance to splurge before getting spring break ready so we’ve compiled some yummy recipes that will keep you interested even if the game doesn’t

Chunky Guacamole

Finely chop 1 small white onion and 1 serrano chile. Mix with 1 cup torn cilantro, 3 diced avocados, the juice of 2 limes and salt to taste.

Beef Sliders

Form 1 pound ground beef into 12 patties, 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle a skillet with kosher salt; cook the patties over high heat, 4 minutes per side. Put on mini buns. 

Pizza Snack Mix

Bake 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes; drain on paper towels. Toss 2 cups each pita chips and cheese crackers, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons each minced parsley, oregano and basil. Bake 10 minutes. Stir in the pepperoni.

Buffalo Chicken Sliders

Warm 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken with 1/4 cup each sour cream and hot sauce. Serve on 12 mini buns with celery and blue cheese.

So, collegiettes enjoy the game, halftime show, and of course the food! We may not know what eactly is going on but Super Bowl Sunday is an American tradition and deserves to be celebrated!

Rachel Kantrowitz is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in Political Science with minors in journalism and history. Aside from writing for Her Campus IU, Rachel is also the Social Committee Chair for Independent Council at IU and spent her summer interning at a magazine in London! Some of her favorite things include shopping, her hometown, Boston, traveling and thursdays at KOK.