Get Out the Door in 10 Minutes and Still Look Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

It happens to all of us at some point or another. You’ve just woken up and you need to be out the door in 10 minutes. 

Don’t panic.  While this may seem like a sentence to a day of yoga pants and a baseball cap, it’s not too late.  In less than 10 minutes you can easily pull yourself together – and look good.

First get to the bathroom.  Hygiene is priority number one.
Estimated time: five minutes

Step 1: Wash and Brush           
First, wash your face and apply moisturizer (with SPF!) While the moisturizer is setting in, brush your teeth.  The theme of the morning is multitasking. 

Step 2:  Makeup
It can be tempting to skip the makeup routine, but in two steps you can shake the three-hours of sleep look and instead have a fresh face.

• Apply concealer and/or a light foundation, focusing under the eyes.  Spot treat any blemishes that may have appeared thanks to midterms!   
  • Curl your eyelashes and apply mascara.  It opens tired eyes and makes you look more alert.
  • If you’ve got some extra time apply a touch of blush to your cheeks – blending well.  This will give you a healthy, well-rested glow.

Step 3: Hair
No shower, no problem.  Fake your way to clean hair. New products, such as TRESemmé Fresh Start Dry Shampoo, remove oil from the roots and brings hair back to lifeSecret tip – baby powder does the same job, and it’s much cheaper!  Just sprinkle a bit to your roots and style. 

If you can leave your hair down, let it be.  If not, the low ponytail, or side braid are fast, fashionable styles that gets your hair off your face and under control.

What to Wear
Estimated time: three minutes
Yes, sweats are the easy, mindless go-to, but a cute outfit can be too!  This no brainer outfit takes the same amount of time as grabbing your PINK hoodie.

1. Jeans – whether skinny or boyfriend, pick the comfortable pair today.
  2. Neutral top – Basic black, white, navy or gray t-shirt.   
  3. Sweater – The tip to dressing for the weather this time of year is layering. Toss a basic cardigan or lose wrap over your t-shirt.
  4. Scarf –An easy, instantaneous way to add flair.  And thanks to the neutral top, any style or color works.
  5. Shoes – Something easy to slip into.  Think ballet flats or Sperrys.    

And out the door you go!  Not only do you look pulled together, you’ll feel ready to handle whatever the day throws at you. 

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.