Fifty Shades of Grey: Once You’ve Tried Chocolate, You’ll Never Want Vanilla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Oh. My. God. 

Fifty Shades of Grey definitely left viewers wanting more…in more ways than one. The on-screen adaptation of E.L. James‘ erotic novel did not disappoint many of its eager fans nor did it disappoint in the box office. The film, which raked in $81.7 million over the three day holiday weekend, brought to life the sizzling, mysterious, and bondage filled relationship between recent college graduate, Anastastia Steele (Dakota Johnson) and the beautiful and tortured soul of Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan). Upon meeting  Mr. Grey, the handsome billionaire, Ana is immeditaely infatuated with him. The two share a deep connection, although Mr. Grey, as we find out, has some ulterior motives.

After the two have their first intense kiss in the elevator, we know we are in for a steamy ride. As the film continues, we become familiar with Christian’s need for a dominant-submissive relationship, his red room of pleasure, or pain, depending on how you look at it, and well, floggers. For those of us who read the book prior to the film, it is quite a bit tamer than we hoped, however, the scenes of bondage and sex are shot in a very tasteful yet erotic way.  

Johnson and Dornan, who you will find yourself fantasizing about long after the credits have rolled, have great chemistry and really bring their characters to life. The sexual exchanges between the two are playful yet passionate and they leave us eager to see what happens next. 

One downfall of the film is the absence of Ana’s “inner goddess”, her personal dialogue which is narrated to us in the book. In the book, Ana’s character narrates her feelings and gets really descriptive of the kinky events taking place, which is a huge missing chunk from the movie. 

While the film was not as sensuous as many of us would have liked, it was definitely not vanilla. Fifty Shades left us on the edge of our seats, curiously biting our lips, and wanting more out of its beguiling and enticing story. 

Photo Credits: 12

International Studies student at American University.