The Do’s and Don’ts of Long Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Collegiettes love to love, but what if Prince Charming isn’t conveniently located a few doors down? HCIU wanted to help you solve this mystery, so we recruited a few of our closest girlfriends (and their super cute boyfriends!) to find out their tips and tricks that will help your love go the distance.

Kelsey and Danner

300 miles apart

Together 1 year and 6 months

DO send silly pictures. “Danner and I love SnapChat! Or we’ll just send each other goofy, random pictures of our day, anything that I think will make him smile. It’s an improvement from just texting and it makes you feel like a part of their day.”

Molly and Mack

95.2 miles apart

Together 10 months
DON’T overanalyze. “Long distance tends to make people paranoid about cheating. If you are that paranoid about your boyfriend or girlfriend cheating you should probably reevaluate if they are worth the distance. Please do not ask them where they are going and what they are doing constantly unless it is simply for the sake of catching up and being genuinely interested about their day. Do not put unnecessary stress on the relationship. It’s hard enough being far away from each other, and harassing your partner does not help make things easier. Talk to each other, enjoy yourselves, don’t cause problems. Have some trust. Of course, if you have reasonable suspicions, you should definitely have a talk about that, just don’t do it unnecessarily!” 

Olivia and Max

330 miles apart

Together 6 years

DO find time to visit each other. “Even if it’s going to be a few months away, it gives you both something to look forward to and an ideal timeline of when you’ll see each other next. When I’m really missing Max, I always think about how many more days until I get to see him next and it helps the situation.”

Kendall and JJ

500 miles apart

Together 3 years
DON’T stay at home on a Friday night because you have a boyfriend.“You should never feel like you have to spend your weekends at home doing puzzles. You’re only in college once – going out will not only force you to take your mind off of how much you miss your significant other, but it will also allow you create amazing memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Besides, sometimes chatting with other people will make you realize how much you appreciate your loved one even more (hello, gross drooling drunk guy).”

Abbey and Kale

155 miles apart

Together 3 years and 8 months

DO stay on each other’s minds. “We constantly tell each other about songs that reminds us of each other. We Facebook message them or just tell each other to listen to it on YouTube and then when you hear it, it’s a great reminder of our awesome relationship!”

Jes and Kyle

100 miles apart

Together 4 months

DON’T drag it out. “Never put more into the relationship than he is. If he is worth it he will always meet you half way. Don’t put your entire life on hold just because he asks you to.”