Definitive Ranking of Valentine’s Day Chocolates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.
Roses are red,violets are blue.Candy is sweetmake sure you know what you’re about to chew!
With love in the air, the appeal of heart-shaped boxes and fancy ribbon from your local pharmacy is in sight. Maybe you’re a buttercream person, or maybe you can’t wait to get your hands on some toffee. Perhaps you’ve tried chocolate, but it’s not your type and you’re looking for some deep conversation with a candy heart. If you enjoyed my suggestions about the Starbucks drinks during the holiday season, this Valentine’s Day candy guide will be sure to help you through the season of love. Long before Starbucks introduced its salted caramel mocha, caramel candy made with salted butter and coated in chocolate was a prized confection. Fast forward and throw some cupid in there and thus, the idea of giving “sweets to your sweet” was born. So if you’re anxiuosly looking into a box of chocolates that your beloved (or mom) recently sent you and don’t know which ones the good ones are, here is the definitive ranking of Valentine’s candies.  * Based off of the Godiva boxed chocolates.

10. Orange Crescent:
The rich, dark chocolate covers the taste of a sweet orange in this classic Valentine’s Day piece. It’s still put on the ranking scale because dark chocolate, but based on taste it seems as if these two met on a dating website and moved things along a little too fast.

9. Cinnamon Blush:Creamy, milk chocolate ganache immersed with the warmth of sweet cinnamon in a milk chocolate outer layer. This chocolate is heading down a slippery slope – and fast. When you first taste it, it’s new and exciting; you can’t keep your hands off of it. But too much time together and the spice dies down leaving a bad taste in your mouth and mind.

8. Coconut Pyramid:Coconut macaroon and creamy, coconut fondant with deep dark chocolate. As Taylor Swift likes to say, “We are never, ever, ever getting back together.” One bite and and it was just not happening. Disclaimer: If you happen to be into coconut, this could very well be the chocolate for you.

7. Almond Praline Raindrop:A praline of roasted almonds complemented with crushed almonds in a smooth, milk chocolate shell. Sweet, but clingy. There have been better chocolates than the Almond Praline Raindrop, for sure, but I would definitely give it another chance.

6. Cherry Cordial:A whole cherry immersed in sweet liquid fondant in a deep dark chocolate shell. The dark chocolate mixed with the cherry was really nice, however, the liquid makes it a sloppy chocolate. I could have done without the excess remainders it left lingering.

5. Raspberry Ganache Twirl:Deep dark chocolate and raspberry infused ganache in dark chocolate. The mysterious of chocolates. Leaves you wanting more because you are so confused of what just hit you. Very good and enticing; very dark and twisty.

4. Pecan Caramel Duet:Crunchy pecan filled caramel layered over chocolate caramel, enrobed in milk chocolate. This is an adventurous chocolate. There’s always three of you involved while eating this, no doubt. (You, the carmel, the pecans). If you’re a risk taker this is the chocolate for you.

3. White Ganache Bliss: Creamy, white chocolate ganache with vanilla in a white chocolate shell. There are no games when it comes to this chocolate. It is something serious and straight to the point. Rich but sweet, the White Ganache Bliss knows what it wants.

2. Milk Caramel Embrace: A chewy soft center of caramel surrounded by milk chocolate. Despite its intimidating physique, this chocolate has a sweet side. It’ll melt your heart when you least expect it, and is a great pick-me-up if you’re feeling down this Valentine’s Day.

1. Dark Mint Medallion:A crisp, refreshing mint filling in a dark chocolate. There is not enough of this one to go around, and they just might not be into you. As soon as the cool mint hits your taste buds, you will understand what the hype is all about and be head over heels for this chocolate.

So, whether you are finding love in a hopeless place, never ever getting back together, putting a ring on it, or wanting to be someone’s lover by getting with their friends, at least you will be eating the highest class of chocolates. I hope that love is in the air for you this year and if not this box is just as delicious with a glass of wine and a group of friends!

Self proclaimed Carrie Bradshaw of our generation.