Confessions of a Pageant Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Rachel is one of my sorority sisters and best friends in college. She’s the older sister I wished I had, and has taught me about fake eyelashes, spray tans, and being fierce. Needless to say, I’ve always admired her.

On stage at the Bloomington Convention Center, under bright lights, in heels and a leopard print gown, the audience sees her as a woman of glamour, poise, and talent. In other words, everything it means to be a pageant girl.

Watching her compete in Miss Indiana University in March was my first pageant experience.

I’ve never really known anything about pageants aside from what I’ve seen on the TV show Toddlers and Tiaras and the movie Miss Congeniality. I didn’t know what to expect when I got to the event. Through talking with Rachel I have become aware of the tradition, the passion, and the longstanding history that is a huge part of her life.

Q: How long have you been competing in pageants?

A: My first pageant was at age seven in 1996, when I competed for Miss Noble County and won. Then I was second runner up at state in 1996. I became serious in competing in 2007 after I graduated high school.

Q: What is your favorite thing about pageants?

A: I think my favorite part is being able to have a voice for a cause that I feel strongly about, and share my views about my personal platform with people all over the state.

Q: What is your most embarrassing moment?

A: That would have to be the 2008 Miss Limberlost Pageant, the summer after my freshman year at IU. They introduced the “swizzle” during the swimsuit competition- a sassy turn done while walking.  So during rehearsal I tried it out and in front of EVERYONE (sound and light technicians, contestants, directors, and the previous Miss Limberlost) I slid and crashed to the ground.

Q: Proudest moment?

A: Just completing my first pageant in one piece, without crying or breaking down. Being able to walk across the stage in a swimsuit, competing against very talented girls.

Q: What would you say to the haters that think that pageants are just sexist competitions about beauty?

A: There are so many pageant organizations out there, but in my opinion Miss USA is not talent based. It is based on who has the best body, but even then, it depends on confidence and charisma- important qualities for every woman. Miss America has service, success, and scholarship as the focal points of the organization.  And Miss America has to be a good representative of Children’s Miracle Network along with her personal platform. Scholastic ambition and community service are so important.

Q: What is your goal?

A: To make it to Miss Indiana! I have two more years left of competing for the title, since Miss Indiana can be no older than 24.

Q: How did your talents originate?

A: I have been playing violin since age 11. When I started with pageants in 2007, I focused on violin until 2009 when I decided to sing for the first time, thanks to my incredible voice coach. Now I have decided to switch back to violin to honor my late grandfather who encouraged me as a performer.

Q: How many months does it take to prepare for a pageant?

A: It really is year round, constant preparation because you never know which one you are going to decide to do.

Q: Okay, I have to ask: how many ball gowns do you own?

A: Floor length, at least 10. 5 or 6 black cocktail dresses, 7 costumes for performing.

Q: Who supports you by going to the pageants?

A: My whole family goes, my mom, dad, and little brother. My grandma and grandpa (before he died) would go to every show. I have an amazing group of friends and sorority sisters to support me also.

Q: Who is on your team that makes this possible?

A: My vocal coach Lindsey Helmer, and I took violin lessons from Jackie Diehl. I usually do my own hair and makeup, but we help each other backstage. It’s not catty like people think. We genuinely have a good time. I’ve made a lot of lifelong friends through Miss America.

Q: Biggest challenges?

A: Keeping my confidence, because you are up against girls that have the perfect body. But I am finally confident with who I am and what I look like. They often say that the swimsuit competition is confidence based and is won from the neck up.

Q: Any advice for girls who want to try pageants?

A: GO FOR IT! At least turn in your paperwork and go to the info meetings. Check out the Miss Indiana website for the local pageant list and the FAQ section.

Q: Highest heels worn?

A: 7 inches for the swimsuit portion of Miss Limberlost 2010. I had to practice walking right before I went on, just to make sure I wasn’t awkward.

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.