Collegiette’s Guide to Lenten Sacrifices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

You may see a slew of people walking around campus today with crosses on their forehead. No it’s not dirt; they are ashes. Today, many Christians across the world will celebrate Ash Wednesday. Every year, Ash Wednesday occurs 46 days before Easter and marks the first day of Lent. Lent occurs from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. This observance marks Jesus’ journey from death to resurrection. During Lent, it is common for Christians to give up certain types of luxuries or to do something they think would benefit them. Sometimes it’s hard to decide what to do, or what to give up, so we’ve complied a list especially for those collegiettes who will be participating in Lent.

Religious

• Start going to church again! As busy collegiettes we probably haven’t made tons of time or effort to attend mass on Sundays. What better way to kick off Lent?
  • Go to confession. When was the last time you confessed your sins? Sometimes it feels good to get everything off your chest.
  • Pray. It doesn’t have to be complicated! Say the rosary or pray the Stations of the Cross each night.

Health

• Maybe it’s finally time to get into shape by doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. When April comes, and you’re able to walk up the stairs of Ballantine without feeling out of breath, you’ll be so proud!
  • Ditch the elevators and buses. It’s time to make the sacrifice. Let’s but honest, by the time you walk to your dorm or class it’s faster than taking (or waiting) fr a bus anyway. And as far as elevators, if you happen to live on the 10th floor or your dorm, we don’t suggest completely ditching them.  
  • Think about your favorite food or snack. Now think about giving it up for Lent. It’s the least you could do, and chances are you’ll feel healthier by Easter.

Educational

• Stop checking your Facebook or Twitter during class. It’s hard to refrain from updating your status, but you can do it! Watch your grades improve too.
  • Set a goal for yourself. Maybe you want to ace all your tests, or maybe it’s just getting through Chemistry with a “C.” If you’re striving to do well this semester, promise yourself that you’ll study to the best of your abilities.
  • Devote a set number of hours each night to homework with NO distractions. Turn the television off, stay away from the social networks, and put your phone on silent.

Social Networking

• Eliminate something! It can be hard to get rid of Facebook or Twitter since both outlets are integral parts of our involvement with various school organizations, clubs, or even classes! But sacrifice something else like Pinterest or Tumblr.
  • Send a letter every week. Our phones are literally attached to our hips all day long. How excited would you be if someone sent you a real, hand-written letter in the mail? Send one to your best friend who’s also away at college, or your mother. They’ll love it!
  • Be more engaged. How many times have your parents or friends tried to talk to you, and you’re texting or checking Facebook? Put down your phone or computer and listen to what they’re saying

Lifestyle

• Get dressed (this means no sweats) for class every day. Throwing on a pair of jeans or leggings and a cute top is just as easy as throwing on a pair of sweats and Ugg boots. You’ll feel more confident and be in a better mood, trust me.
  • Get rid of clutter. Clean your room and keep it clean. Go thru your old clothes and give them to the less fortunate. Boyfriend is a loser? Get rid of him too. He’s taking up space in your heart. Do something, even if it’s little, to de-clutter your life every day!
  • Smile. It’s so easy, yet so difficult. Not only will your mood improve, but also you’ll appear more approachable. Maybe with this Lenten practice your New Years Resolution of finally finding a boyfriend will follow through. Remember, you never know who’s falling in love with your smile.
Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes