Chivalry Is… Alive?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Where I come from, “after you” is a phrase that you don’t hear very often.
 I’m not hating on Philadelphia, but there is one thing I must address: Chivalry is dead, banished from the realm. I thought that this was the way it was going to be but then I came to IU and discovered chivalry decided to dig itself out of it’s habitual hole and grace us with its presence. What I thought would be a guest appearance, turned out to be a recurring act. I wondered, if chivalry isn’t dead, is it alive? From my most recent experiences, all fingers point to yes. Chivalry is up and about, living and breathing, and waiting each day to greet us with a smile.
These are three acts of kindness that chivalry has shown me:

1.     “I’ll get the door Torr”. At home, I’ve been hit in the face with a door so many times my nose is basically made of steel. But at IU, almost every male that I have encountered has not only held the door for me, but has let me walk through before them! What a concept.
2.     “A jacket for your troubles”.  At home, if I were to be standing with a guy and say, “I’m cold”, the guy would reply, “Yeah, I know, same. Good thing I have this jacket.” But here, even if I haven’t mentioned my predisposition to being chilly and the guy notices the brisk weather, he’ll offer his jacket without hesitation.

3.      “Never fear, pledge rides are here”.  At home, if I wanted a ride to a party I’d either have to fight my girl friends to the death or drive myself. But the IU frat system offers something brilliant: pledge rides. Call one of three numbers received in your texts; tell them where you live; and a frat boy named “Mike, Mark, whatever your name is”, arrives in your royal coach to whisk you away. Door to door service: what a good knight.

The boys here take care of everything: from walking you home to keeping you safe to leaving the toilet seat down in the dorm bathroom. Well…maybe not everything.

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes