With the start of the new semester, we are all guilty of being stuck in “Summer-Mode.” Even though the sun is still shining and the dartys feel endless, there is one thing that is separating us from continuing our summer breaks in b-town: Classes. With that said, HCIU presents the five ways to get out of “Summer-Mode” and get ahead in your classes.
1. Go to class! The first few weeks of classes are like the previews of a movie, it’s not like you tryyy to miss them, but if you do… who cares? The reality is that once you miss your first class, the more likely you are to miss your second… third or fourth. There is a time and a place for missing class, and we call that time “Little 5”, not a “Little Hangover”. The more you skip now, the less prepared you will be for the semester. So pop a few Advils, drink some coffee, and get to class!
2. Ask for help. If you don’t understand the material, even if it is just review, ask for help! Go to office hours or get a tutor. This will make the new material you learn even easier, and help you do better on the final.
3. Sleep aka the easiest way to do well in class. The more you sleep, the more your brain will retain the information that you learned during the day. In addition, you will have more energy for classes and to go out with your friends.
4. Watch the partying. Between tailgates and concerts at Bluebird, I guess you could say that it is pretty easy to party at IU. No one wants to miss out on all of the fun, but the great thing about going to a school like Indiana is that there is ALWAYS another party. So if you have a huge exam coming up or if you aren’t feeling so great, stay in!
5. Hang with Herman. It is hard to remember that it isn’t summertime anymore and you actually have to get work done, so designate a time to go to the library! Even if you don’t have anything to do, you can still look through your planner or start preparing for the weeks to come. Plus, the more time you spend doing work during the week, the more fun you can have on the weekends.