5 Budget-Friendly Ways to Update Your Wardrobe for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Although it’s hard to believe, summer is right around the corner. Before we know it, we’ll be sipping umbrella drinks by the pool and planning spontaneous road trips with our best friends. And the only thing more exciting than the possibility of a summer romance is updating your wardrobe. While it may be hard to stick to a budget when you’re facing a season full of fresh fashion, we promise you can do it!

Add accessories

When you don’t have the money to spend on new clothes, accessories are the perfect alternative for you. Often the most over-looked wardrobe essential, accessories give you the opportunity to change up your outfit without breaking the bank. Bold statement necklaces, flirty earrings, and a stack of colorful bracelets are the perfect remedy to your wardrobe blues. But don’t just limit yourself to jewelry! Sunglasses, handbags, head wraps, belts, and a new pair of shoes will also help to switch things up.

Shop smart

If you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a clothing item, why would you?

1. Stores like Target and Kohl’s have affordable and trendy clothing to suppress your shopping appetite. These stores are also ideal for basics items like t-shirts or camisoles.

2. Be conscious of sales at your favorite stores. Ask an associate what day they mark down items and if there are any upcoming promotions in-store or online.

3. Never underestimate the power of thrift shopping. Research the best bargain stores in your area and head over for a peek. Looking doesn’t hurt and you may find just what you’re looking for.

Change your beauty routine

Make minor changes to your every day beauty routine to feel more fashion forward this summer. To achieve a glowing summer look purchase bronzer (Laguna by NARS is my favorite), a peach colored blush, and highlighter. Add subtle pops of color with bright lipstick and eyeliner or eye shadow. Also, don’t forget to give your nails some attention. Opt for pastel and neon colors or go crazy with fun patterns. Visit our Pinterest page for fun and flirty nail designs.

Invest in a maxi dress/skirt

Consider the maxi dress (or skirt) your best friend this summer. This clothing item is so chic, comfortable, and versatile; we can guarantee you won’t regret buying one! Maxi dresses are perfect for nearly any occasion. Wear it to brunch with your boyfriend, an afternoon of shopping with your sister, or a late-night concert with your best friend. Change your shoes, fix your hair, add or remove a jacket, and you’ll be ready to go no matter the occasion!

Allow yourself one expensive item

You’ve done so well sticking to your budget, and now it’s time to splurge on that floral blazer you’ve been eyeing. Remember that you’re still a recovering spendaholic, so there’s some rules you must follow. First, Check your bank account and decide how much money you’re going to spend. Give yourself a maximum amount and DO NOT spend more than that. Then, think hard about what you want to buy before you buy it. Make sure it’s something you can wear multiple times so you won’t feel like you wasted your money. Finally, remember that this is a once in a while thing. You don’t get to reward yourself every week!

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes