This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

If you are anything like me, you love being that golden-brown glow, but are less fond of the long, blistering hot hours spent roasting out in the sun. One of my favorite things to do to help take my mind off the fact that my skin is on fire is to crack open a new book. There is no better way to pass the time than getting lost in a good story, and why overdose on UV rays in the meantime (just kidding, sunscreen!!!).

A crucial element of my prep for any vacation is picking up a new book to devour during the trip. This Spring Break’s pic is Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I chose this book for two non-related, but both very important reasons. First, it was Reese Witherspoon’s book club pick a few months ago, which would have been enough evidence for me alone. But then, my best friend got it for me for Christmas and she has great taste and also rocks, making this year’s pick a no brainer. Below is a list of 5 books from trips past that I would gladly hit the road with again, in case you find yourself in need of some companionship this Spring Break.             

1. The Woman in Cabin 10, Ruth Ware

I’m a sucker for a murder mystery. This one kept me up too late on multiple occasions as I tried to guess the outcome, and even longer wondering if the sound I was hearing was the AC or a ruthless murderer. What more can you ask for?

2. Yes, Please, Amy Poehler

I simply love Amy Poehler and if you love her you should read this book and if you don’t love her you should read this book so that you can inevitably fall in love with her. She is so funny while still keeping it real and also tells a lot of inside stories about Tina Fey. I think that’s all you need to know about this gem.

3. It, Alexa Chung

I did not know much Alexa Chung before reading this book, other than that she was super cool and seemed to have just always been that way. I bought this book because I wanted to know more about her and how she manages to be the coolest girl on the planet. I would use a better adjective but she practically created the word. This book is an easy, fun read and a small glimpse into the world she has created for herself.

4. The Glass Castle, Jeannette Wells

This book is not for the faint of heart, but it is for the lover of a good story with messy (but lovable) characters. A true story about growing up with parents who are not quite grown up themselves, and what that meant for a young girl being raised by nomads in the 60’s/70’s. I cried.

5. Twenty Boy Summer, Sarah Ockler

This one is a classic throwback. I had to dig deep for this one, but I always cherish it as one of my favorite beach reads. I would describe it as nothing less than the perfect summer romance. I remember laying in my sandy sheets and pining away for a fictional character, wondering why I had not met my summertime soul mate yet. Sigh. This one may get added to the never-ending reread list.  

Photo Source: http://katelynslifestyle.com/tag/travel-reads/