3 Easy Ways to Transition Your Wardrobe to Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

With all this snow fall, it seems like winter has come early to Bloomington! Collegiettes, this doesn’t mean you need to break the bank and overhaul your entire closet, instead just add a few key pieces to your wardrobe and you’ll be winter ready in no time.

There’s no denying that boots are a winter staple. They are cute and you can wear them for hours walking to class and still be good at the end of the day. This is a simple change to make, just swap out the sandals you have been wearing all summer and fall for a pair of boots are you are good to go. Keep it neutral and invest in a nice a brown or black pair, they will go with everything and hold up through the winter. Frye and Tory Burch make nice, high quality boots that you can wear for a few seasons. If you are looking for a more inexpensive, but still fashionable, option, check out Target and Forever 21. DSW and Macy’s in the local Bloomington area are also good bets for boot shopping. Basically everyone at IU is wearing boots from November to March, so stand out from the crowd and express your personal style through the boot you choose. The most popular types at IU are riding and combat boots, however, there are many other options. Ankle and over-the-knee boots are stylish and unique.

Image courtesy of Stylelist

Tights can totally change the feel of an outfit. You can wear them with dresses, skirts, and shorts. That favorite dress you’ve been wearing all summer and autumn becomes winter-ready when paired with tights and a heavy coat when it drops below freezing. Tights make literally any outfit perfect for cold weather, and the best part is they’re inexpensive and you can find them almost anywhere (even CVS has them!). For you, fashionistas, out there who really want to make a statement, wear colored, printed, or textured tights.

Image courtesy of E! Online

Accessories are that final touch that really bring on the winter feeling. Just throw on a beanie or tie a scarf around your neck. It’s so easy, it will keep you warm and looking cute for class or for hanging out with friends on the weekend in downtown Bloomington. H&M has a lot of cute and inexpensive accessories, and Target’s latest collaboration with designer Joseph Altuzarra makes designer pieces affordable for the fashion-conscious collegiette. Go check out the collection online or at the College Mall before it sells out.

Image courtesy of Linday Albanese

So this is it, collegiettes, three easy ways to transition your wardrobe to winter. Now you are ready to take on the world all while reveling in the wonderful winter spirit. Bring on that cold weather.

Melanie Metzman is a sophomore at Indiana University majoring in Journalism and Communication and Culture. When she's not busy in class or grabbing a latte and studying at the IMU Starbucks, you can find her working out, blogging (sometimesiwritethings.weebly.com), reading magazines, watching rom-coms, or spending time with her sorority sisters in downtown Bloomington. She is obsessed with all things fashion and beauty and dreams of writing for a major fashion magazine after graduation. Keep of with Melanie on Twitter @melanie_metzman