Why The Bold Type is the Boss Babe TV Show You Need Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

The Bold Type is based on three best friends in their mid-20s, Jane, Sutton and Kat, who work together in a Cosmopolitan-like magazine. The show tends to focus on Jane, a writer at the magazine but takes turns focusing on Sutton, an assistant in the magazine and Kat, the social media director. The show starts out on Jane’s first day as a writer having moved up in the company from an intern to assistant to a full time writer.

There are so many good things about this show. First being the supportive relationship between Kat, Sutton and Jane. Whenever any of the girls have issues in their careers or love lives they can rely on each other and come together for the most heartfelt talks in the fashion closet. 

The show also had the opportunity to make the editor in chief of the magazine, Jaqueline Carlyle, a stereotypical, Devil Wears Prada supervisor but instead made her a powerful mentor for all of the girls. 

The show also handles a variety of issues such as, questioning sexuality, career disappointments, relationship troubles, racial profiling, the #metoo movement, city politics, reproductive troubles, activism and so much more. 

Without spoiling the show too much, what is so refreshing about the characters in The Bold Type is any career choice is just as important as any other aspect of their lives, rather than the typical romantic choices trump all else. It shows how complicated and unstable the job market is juxtaposed with their crazy, nice apartments and way too cute and expensive clothes. 

Yet Jane, Kat and Sutton handle everything in stride with the support of their #girlgang making plan a,b,c,d,e… well you get the idea. 

They manage to do this while also being pretty relatable to any girl out there with a bestie who they might be a little too close to. 

Or even just another struggling millennial or gen zer.

Like all tv shows there are some problematic moments in the show, like these characters at the beginning of their career can magically afford nice apartments and clothes in New York City, although the show does try to address that by pulling in a backstory for each character and having Jane and Sutton split a one room apartment. Other critics say that the journalists in the show are more like bloggers and encourage writers to focus on personal pieces in order to make profits. While that certainly appears true at the beginning of the show, since Jane does not have the skills to be a writer fully mastered. As the seasons progress you see her taking on more serious pieces and growing as a person and a writer with her girls beside her growing in their own careers as well. Jane, Kat and Sutton are the definitions of boss babes. The best part is that there are three seasons of this show on Hulu and Freeform, so happy binging!

Allaire is an inquisitive and confident lady who loves to watch reruns of her favorite shows (Bones anyone?) and enjoy the finer things in life like sand in between her toes, the sun on her skin and chocolate ice cream. Allaire is a senior Sociology major and Women and Gender Studies minor with aspirations to be a human rights lawyer and a songwriter. She is passionate about music, traveling and social justice.