Who I Think Should Have Won the Oscars Based on Watching Almost None of the Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

I’ve only seen like five of the movies that were nominated for Oscars and I don’t even like award shows, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have opinions on the winners!

Best Picture

There’s a lot of upset about Green Book winning best picture. People are saying that the film is tone deaf when it comes to racism. I did not see the film but based on the large number of white men that accepted the award, the critics are probably right. Personally, I think that BlacKkKlansman should have won. It was an excellent film and did a great job portraying racism in America. The only other movie in this category that I saw was Black Panther and I didn’t like it that much. I know that most people love it, but I found it a bit boring. I’m picky when it comes to superhero movies and Black Panther didn’t do it for me. BlacKkKlansman on the other hand? *Chef kiss.*

Actor in a Leading Role

I saw none of these films, but Rami Malek seems like he was a good Freddie Mercury based on the trailers I saw, so we’ll let him have this one.

Actress in a Leading Role

I also did not see any of these movies. However, I saw people on the internet saying that Glenn Close should have won and has been nominated for the Oscars without a win more times than any other actress. I haven’t really seen any of her movies, but from what I recall she was great in 101 Dalmatians, so I think that she should have taken home this Oscar. I have nothing against Olivia Coleman, but Glenn Close is due for a win.

Actor in a Supporting Role

Adam Driver was robbed, and I’m not saying that just because he was the only one I actually saw act! He was phenomenal in BlacKkKlansman and deserves an award for his performance. Also, he was great in that SNL episode.

Actress in a Supporting Role

The consensus is Regina King deserved her win, so I’ll allow it. Amy Adams is in second for the actress with the most Oscar nominations without a win, so she is my second choice.

Animated Feature Film

I’m so glad that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse won! It was a great movie even though sometimes the animation bothered my eyes a little bit. I watched Incredibles 2 a week or two ago and it was decent but not great. Also, I think that it’s stupid that they removed “the” from the title, people are still calling it “The Incredibles 2,” so what’s the point? Anyway, Spider-Man was better and Isle of Dogs looks kind of creepy. 

Cinematography 

I know absolutely nothing about half of the movies in this category. I saw trailers for A Star is Born and The Favourite and read a little bit about them on Wikipedia and decided that I was not interested in seeing either of them. That being said, The Favourite looked like a visually pleasing movie, so I think that it should have won over Roma.

Costume Design

Even though I didn’t like Black Panther very much, I agree with this win. The costumes were very awesome and creative. You can tell that a lot of thought and effort went into everything that the characters wore in this film. 

Directing

Look, I know that Alfonso Cuarón is a great and well-respected director, but he also directed the worst Harry Potter movie, so I’d give this one to Spike Lee.

Documentary (Feature)

I haven’t seen or heard of any of these movies until right now, but I just read the description for Free Solo and I do not like it. I think it’s stupid for people to purposefully perform dangerous athletic stunts for the sake of it. Why the heck wouldn’t you use ropes to climb a big mountain? It’s just foolish! I also think that they’re hyping up Ruth Bader Ginsburg a lot right now, which is really weird and out of the blue, so no win for RBG. Based on the short descriptions of the rest of the films, I think I’d like the winner to be Hale County This Morning, This Evening. This seems like one of the docs that would pop up on my recommended videos on YouTube at 1 a.m, and I would watch it all the way through for no particular reason.

Documentary (Short Subject)

Period. End of Sentence. also seems like a doc that would be in my recommendations, but I am actually really interested in this subject so I would really want to watch it. Anything that sheds light on menstruation issues women in other countries face definitely deserves an award.

Film Editing

I actually noticed that BlacKkKlansman had fantastic editing while I was watching it. I sat in the theater and thought to myself “Wow, this is some really cool editing,” so yeah, I think it deserved to win. People keep posting a clip from Bohemian Rhapsody with terrible editing and it bothers my eyes a lot when I try to watch it. Other than the trailers, that’s the only bit of the movie I saw, so I think that it had horrible editing. I get that it was done for artistic reasons, but the only worse artistic camera work I’ve seen was the shaky cam in The Hunger Games.

Foreign Language Film 

I have no idea what is going on in the foreign film world, so I’ll let Roma keep this.

Makeup and Hairstyling 

Come on, really? Vice? Like, I get that there was effort put forth to make Christian Bale look old and bald, but he doesn’t look that much like Dick Cheney. Based on the trailer and some pictures, I think that Mary Queen of Scots should have won.

Music (Original Score)

I don’t remember the music from BlacKkKlansman or Black Panther at all, so that isn’t a good sign. Mary Poppins Returns seems like it would have a good score, though, so I think that it should have won even though I am opposed to the existence of a Mary Poppins sequel. 

Music (Original Song)

“Shallow” came on the radio the other day and I didn’t like it, so I think “All The Stars” should have won. Once again, I don’t remember this song…was it even in the movie? I just listened to it and it’s not my cup of tea, but I really like the SZA parts.

Production Design

I had to look up what this category actually means and I’m not really sure how it’s different from cinematography, but I suppose Black Panther deserves the win over the movies I haven’t seen. A lot of work had to have gone into the visuals on that film, so I’ll give them credit for that.

Short Film (Animated)

Bao got a lot of praise, but it was spoiled for me before I had the chance to even watch it, so I didn’t bother to see it when I actually had the chance. I do like the animation style of this film, so it probably should have won.

Short Film (Live Action)

I do not like the plot of Skin at all, but Mother seems like it would be suspenseful and overall a better watch.

Sound Editing

There is no reason that A Quiet Place should have lost in this category. Sound was such a big part of the movie and the editing was so great! Why wasn’t this movie nominated in other categories? It was such an amazing movie! The Academy should be ashamed.

Sound Mixing

How the heck is this category different from the last one? I read a New York Times article on the difference but it still seems silly that these are two separate categories. I know it wasn’t nominated, but A Quiet Place should have won in this category as well. I really like Queen, but come on.

Visual Effects

It’s insane that Avengers: Infinity War didn’t win. I thought it was kind of sucky as far as Marvel movies go, but it had incredible visual effects. There’s space stuff going on in First Man but that doesn’t make the effects better than the ones in Infinity War. I mean, the effects might be better, I didn’t see it, but probably not!

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Finally, an actual win for BlacKkKlansman! It definitely deserves more than one win, but at least it got something.

Writing (Original Screenplay)

People didn’t like Green Book and the other movies don’t seem that great to me, but my friend Caelin really liked The Favourite so I would like that to have been the winner.

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.