What’s the Best Tea for the Current You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It’s cold outside. The harsh breezes are started to feel like a punch to the stomach each time you leave the comforts of whatever warm space you inhabit. But it’s winter, and we’re college students. And unless you’re taking only online classes this semester, you’re going to have to face the numb faces and chapped lips. Well, my friend, I just so happen to have the solution for all of this: tea. Yes, tea. Tea for your mood. Tea for the cold. Tea vapor to warm and moisturize your face. Teacups to stop the chill from spreading to your fingers. The question is, what tea should you be drinking?

You just need any tea…a tea you can drink anytime and get a bit of energy, a bit of relaxation and a few health benefits.

Green tea is the tea for you! It improves brain function, aids weight loss, lowers blood sugar levels and reduces the risk of losing teeth. What doesn’t the tea do? There’s a reason everything officially has a green tea flavor!

You’re sick.

You’ve heard this one before. Ginger tea with a bit of lemon and honey will treat you kindly. If not in the mood for ginger, then mint. The vapor of these two teas is helpful on their own. If you need a boost of energy, add a bag of green or black tea.

You’re stressed out. You just got past midterms, but there is no end to the barrage of tests. You’re worn out and need to take a day to yourself with a cup of tea.

Chamomile is the tea for you. Not only does it calm your emotions, but it can also calm an upset stomach and help with sleep.

You’re running out of energy quickly! You need a tea to stay up with that’ll keep you energized, but not running into a wall.

Earl Grey and English breakfast are the teas for you. Any black tea will work the best for energy followed, of course, by green tea. Black tea also has plenty of antioxidants, specifically polyphenols, which are known to strengthen your cardiovascular system and help with reducing clogged arteries.

You’re feeling down and want to feel fancy. You want that burst of energy, but also just a sip of happiness.

Vanilla chai tea is the tea for you. If not vanilla chai (because you may not like chai,) then a mix of chamomile and any fruity or strange sounding tea. Chamomile adds just enough chill to any tea flavor.

You’re honestly just trying to keep your head up and function.

Green or oolong tea is the tea for you. Both are known for their many health benefits. Oolong is especially known for alertness. Both have plenty antioxidants, which keep your body from shutting down easily and helps fight off sicknesses.

Stay warm everyone, keep that pinky up, and keep on sipping. 

1, 2

Although my name is Oyinlola, I go by Lola. I'm a Junior at Ithaca College with a major in English and minor in Psychology. I grew up around the center of Connecticut and am a first generation child of African immigrants. I very much enjoy writing about my own and others' experiences and hope to spend the rest of my life doing so.