What to Expect When You Get Your First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

I got my first tattoo when I was 17, and I chose to get a matching one with my mother. I was pretty nervous initially because I had seen people pass out after getting tattoos before. Although, I came to learn that as long as you eat and drink water before going, you should be fine.

Most people are worried about the pain, but in my opinion it really did not hurt. The best way I can describe the pain is it feels like you’re being scratched. I’ve heard many people say that the part that hurts the most is the color and shading, but I cannot speak on that because both of my tattoos are just black outlines. A lot of the pain you feel is going to depend on your personal pain tolerance, and the size and placement of the tattoo. If you are really worried about it, I would recommend starting with something small, so you can see how you react to them first.

Both of mine are about an inch or two in size, which takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the tattoo artist. I would also not recommend getting a tattoo if you cannot handle the after care, because it is very important in order for your tattoo to heal properly. You will have to put some kind of ointment or lotion on it for a least 2 weeks after getting it, and will not be allowed to go tanning, swimming, or exercise while it is healing. These factors are important to keep in mind because you do not want an infection. Ultimately, tattoos are a fun way to express yourself and I highly recommend them. However, make sure you really like what you decide to get because it will be on your body forever, and most importantly do your research!

Ali Lear

Ithaca '22

Freshman Exploratory major