Valentine’s Day Fashion Guide 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday that you either love or hate.  For some, it’s a day full of chocolate, roses, and a fancy dinner.  For others, it’s a day full of chocolate and self-loathing (just kidding?)  Regardless, it’s an excuse for all collegiettes to look cute and go out, no matter your relationship status.  Let’s check out this year’s top Valentine’s Day trends:

The Sassy LBD
The Little Black Dress is a classic staple of every girl’s wardrobe.  To spice things up, show a little bit of skin with cutouts.  It’s a fun way to keep the LBD from being boring and predictable.  We like the Lunar Cutout Dress from Nasty Gal (nastygal.com).

Statement Bling
While Beyonce’s Super Bowl performance has left us all wishing we had her voice, body and life in general, we can all be divas with statement jewelry.  A large and attention-grabbing necklace, earrings or bracelet can turn an outfit from ordinary to fabulous.  Just make sure you’re not wearing all your bling at once, you don’t want to end up looking like 2Chainz instead of Beyonce.  Check out the many affordable options at Forever21 (forever21.com), like the Draped Chain Swag Necklace.

Wearable Wine
As classy ladies, we enjoy the occasional glass or two of vino.  Why not show our love by wearing this season’s “it” color: wine.  Valentine’s Day is synonymous with the color red.  While red is, and will always be, a V-Day classic, wine is a sophisticated and sexy update.  You can either wear it as a pop of color through lipstick or a handbag, or you can wear it as a main piece.  We recommend the BDG Cigarette High Rise Jean in Burgundy from Urban Outfitters (urbanoutfitters.com).

Versatile Lace
Lace is a much-loved fabric that can be worn in any season and for almost any occasion.  Its sheer quality and detail are ultra feminine, which make it perfect for a date with your special someone or a night out with the girls.  For Valentine’s Day, try pairing a lacy red-hued top with dark skinny jeans or a skirt.  We adore the Lace Back Chiffon Tank from Akira (shopakira.com).

IC 2015 TV-R major. Loves holidays of all types, concerts, and exploring cities around the world.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!