This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

While the Muller report on supposed collusion between the Russians and the 2016 elections has taken center-stage in recent months there is another storm the Trump administration must face – the dreaded notion of impeachment. Over a month ago, Speaker of House of Representative, Nancy Pelosi, announces that six committees will begin the official impeachment inquiries after several reports surfaced about certain controversial interactions between President Trump and Ukraine. 

What’s happening between Trump and Ukraine?

Scandal.

In September, the Trump administration was plunged into another diplomatic scandal regarding a suspicious exchange with Ukraine that came to attention via a whistle-blower report. This report revealed that President Donald Trump asked Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in July 2019 to investigate former vice president Joe Biden – also a potential opponent of Trump’s in 2020 presidential election – and his son Hunter Biden. The investigation, according to the report, is in regard to the company CrowdStrike. This interaction was confirmed through a non-verbatim summary of the conversation which was released by the White House correspondents themselves.   

What’s happening with the efforts to impeach Trump?

The alleged suspicious interactions between Trump and Ukraine were the last straw for the House of Representatives and Speaker Nancy Pelosi who had officially initiated efforts to investigate all past indiscretions of the Trump administrations. The charges being investigated so far include possible violations of the Foreign Emoluments Clause by accepting payment from foreign dignitaries, alleged collusion with Russia during the 2016 presidential elections, as well as obstruction of justice in regards to the investigation charge. There is also the matter of a withheld $400 million (!!!) aid package suspected of being used as a quid pro quo agreement in exchange for Ukraine’s cooperation with the Trump administration’s alleged demands with respect to investigation Joe Biden and his son. 

Oof. That’s… a lot. 

So, what’s happening now?

On Monday, Nancy Pelosi’s office released a “fact sheet” which essentially details all allegations against Trump concurrent with the ongoing impeachment inquiry. Oh, and also a second whistle-blower came forward earlier this month alleging that they have first-hand knowledge of the alleged associations between Trump and Volodymyr Zelensky. All that’s left now is for the inquiry to reach its end and the House Judiciary Committee will be assigned to further investigate which will result in a public hearing.

At the end of the hearing, the committee will be asked to vote on the articles of impeachment at the discretion of the committee chair. Once there is a majority of members who vote in favor of an article the vote will then be shifted to the full House of Representatives. You know, even if President is impeached he can still govern for a year while he seeks an acquittal in a Senate impeachment trial. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rwail Sirmed

Ithaca '22

Rwail is a sophomore majoring in Psychology. Born and raised in Pakistan, she is an active part of the social justice movement there. Rwail aspires to be a forensic psychologist maybe working for international intelligence in the future. She likes to travel, write and occasionally cry over romcoms.
Allaire is an inquisitive and confident lady who loves to watch reruns of her favorite shows (Bones anyone?) and enjoy the finer things in life like sand in between her toes, the sun on her skin and chocolate ice cream. Allaire is a senior Sociology major and Women and Gender Studies minor with aspirations to be a human rights lawyer and a songwriter. She is passionate about music, traveling and social justice.