Top 5 Best Performances at The 58th Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The best in the music industry came together and celebrated a year of music. Some artists won big, such as Ed Sheeran bringing home Song of the Year, while others stirred up more drama by making their acceptance speech into a diss….Taylor Swift. It was also a night of major technical difficulties and high profile star, Rihanna, canceled her performance. This year, the 58th Annual Grammy Music Award proved that anything could happen. But let’s take a look at the five best Grammy performances.

1. Justin Beiber, Srkillex, Diplo 

It is no question that Justin Bieber made a comeback with his big smash singles “Sorry”, “What Do You Mean” and “Love Yourself.” After winning his first Grammy for the song “What Do You Mean”, his performance blew everyone away. He had the crowd captivated from the moment he strummed his guitar. Justin serenaded the audience with “Love Yourself” before he joined Skrillex and Diplo to perform their hit song “What Do You Mean”. Did anyone die a little inside when he stripped off his jacket during the performance?

2. Lady Gaga 

Still fresh from singing the National Anthem at Super Bowl50, there is nothing Lady Gaga can’t do. There is only one word that can describe her tribute to David Bowie Tribute at the Grammys…Breathtaking. No one else could have done David Bowie justice. She performed the songs “Space Oddity”, “Fame”, “Changes”, “Rebel Rebel”, “Suffragette City”, “Fashion”, “Ziggy Stardust”, “Let’s Dance” and “Heroes”. The moment she stepped foot on the red carpet, Lady Gaga dazzled everyone with her bright orange hair and blue bedazzled dress.

3. Hamilton

Hamilton is the first ever Broadway show to be featured at the Grammys. The Hamilton performance at the Grammys made viewers feel like they were right there in the moment with them. Hamilton was broadcasted live from Richard Rodgers Theatre performing their opening number, “Alexander Hamilton”. Hamilton also won Best Musical Theatre Album. It was a sight to see when Hamilton rapped their acceptance speech.

4. Kendrick Lamar 

Kendrick Lamar’s performance was one to remember. It was considered one of the “very controversial” yet powerful performances of the night. Kendrick Lamar performed the song “ The Blacker The Berry” with him being handcuffed on stage. He also had his band locked up in prison cells. Lamar continued his performance, singing another song from his album, “To Pimp A Butterfly” called “Alright” having a huge bonfire to help send his message.

5. Lionel Richie Tribute (Jhon Legend, Demi Lovato, Meghan Trainer, Luke Bryan and Tyrese Gibson) 

Lionel Richie was awarded 2016 MusiCares Person of the Year. John Legend, Demi Lovato, Meghan Trainer, Luke Bryan and Tyrese Gibson all came together to help honor Lionel Richie. John Legend and Tyrese Gibson performed hits “Easy” and “Brick House”. Demi Lovato, Luke Bryan, Meghan Trainer, sang “Hello,” “Penny Lover” and “You Are” songs by Lionel Richie himself. Demi Lovato stole the show with her high vocals.

“Hello”: Lionel Richie was instantly amazed by her performance. and joined the group to sing the hit “All Night Long.”

PC: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6