This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

There’s no doubt that college can be a very stressful time. Especially with finals approaching, it can feel like life is all work and all stress. Here are a few tips you can try when you’re feeling overwhelmed, to help you relax and get back on track.

1. Make a list

Not only does it help you stay organized and on task, but checking items off a list gives you a little rush of satisfaction to help you stay motivated.

2. Take a break

It’s important to take breaks when you’re working. Take 10 minutes every hour or so to stretch, go for a quick walk, grab a snack or do something mindless to refresh your brain and get some energy.

3. Pamper yourself

A little bit of self-care can go a long way. Take a bath, light a candle, paint your nails, do a face mask or anything that makes you feel better both physically and mentally.

4. Clean your space

Adding another chore to your to-do list may seem overwhelming, but working in a clean space helps you to concentrate and feels rewarding.

5. Meditation

There are plenty of great apps out there, such as Calm or Breathe, that provide guided meditations. Taking a few minutes out of your day to meditate can help you feel calmer and more grounded overall.

6. Give an animal some love

Whether it’s your pet, your friend’s pet or just a random dog on campus, petting an animal calms you down and leaves you a little happier.

7. Do what you love

Spending some time on a hobby can be a great way to relax, no matter what it is you love to do. Draw, paint, play an instrument, sing, go for a run; anything that makes you feel good will get your mind off of whatever’s stressing you.

Everyone is different, so it’s important to find whatever works best for you, but hopefully this list will get you started on your way to a less-stressful life.

1, 2, 3

Writing for Film, Television, and Emerging Media major, Women's and Gender Studies minor