Routine Disturbances Performer, Hannah Byron

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Hometown: Reading, Massachusetts

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication Management and Design

Her Campus Ithaca College: Can you explain the inspiration behind the group’s name, Routine Disturbances?

Hannah Byron: That’s a great question haha, I’m not too sure myself. I have asked the directors the meaning behind the name, but they don’t even know! Whoever started the group a few years ago called it Routine Disturbances and we just haven’t changed it since.

HCIC: Which numbers were you a part of for this performance?

HB: My two big solo numbers were “At the Ballet” from A Chorus Line and “Don’t Tell Mamma” from Cabaret. I was also in “Big Spender” from Sweet Charity, “If Only You Would Listen” from School of Rock the Musical, “Seize the Day” from Newsies, and “Light” from Next to Normal.

HCIC: Which one was your favorite?

HB: “At the Ballet” was definitely my favorite number. It’s a trio number and it’s such a beautiful song. The song is about these three women in show business who have had a love for ballet since they were young. The song focuses on how ballet helped each woman get through their difficult childhoods. I also enjoyed learning a little ballet because (truth be told) I’ve always thought it would be cool to be a ballerina.

HCIC: How did you and the rest of the cast prepare for the show?

HB: We have been rehearsing since the beginning of September. We normally learn the music one week and then learn the choreography the following week. It’s really up to each individual to practice the songs and dance routines outside of rehearsal since we are only allotted a certain amount of rehearsals.

HCIC: What is your favorite part about being in the Ithaca Show Choir?

HB: What I love about RD is that we work hard, but at the end of the day we are all there because we love musical theatre and want to have fun with likeminded people. A lot of on campus performance groups rehearse much more than we do, but it’s nice having a relaxing rehearsal schedule for the majority of the semester (aka not show week) because it allows us to enjoy what we are doing.

HCIC Do you get nervous before a performance? And do you have any advice to subdue those nerves?

HB: Yes, I think I will always be nervous before performing no matter how old I am. I have been singing since I was 9, but I find it’s rare for stage fright to 100% go away for anyone. What helps me the most is honing in on your character. If you get in the mindset of your character, your focus will be on them and less on how you will perform.