National Coming Out Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

National Coming Out Day is Tuesday, October 11. Whether you identify as LGBTQ or an ally, it will be a day of celebration. This year marks the 28th year the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) has acknowledged the coming out process with an official coming out day. National Coming Out Day began 27 years ago during an HRC march in Washington D.C. The creation of an official coming out day hoped to empower, advocate for, and raise more awareness of the support in allowing those who identify as LGBTQ to come out. This annual event allows people who in the past have had to subdue their sexualities to be liberated. Sometimes people will come out privately, others will take to the media for a louder statement. Others will show their support by wearing symbols of pride.

At Ithaca College, there is no lack of celebration. There will be events, speakers, and various learning opportunities offered through the LGBT Center to observe National Coming Out Day. There have already been a number of opportunities throughout the month of September and first week of October, including LGBT-themed talks in association with National Coming Out Day. The pride flag has been raised on campus near Free Speech Rock, and there was a breakfast for LGBTQ and Allied students and alumni Oct. 8 in the Clark Lounge in Campus Center. Later that day a pride parade was put on by Spectrum, an inclusive LGBT on-campus organization.        

National Coming Out Day is important for everyone because many people probably know someone who identifies as LGBTQA+. This celebration is essential for everyone as it empowers people to come out and is a great recognition of the strength and unity the LGBTQ community has that therefore should be recognized and celebrated. 

1, 2