My Life Is Bro: Bro-archy? The Social Hierarchy of Bro Code

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Glossary:
1. Sport-shorts: basketball shorts
2. Bro Code: set of rules determining the appropriate code of conduct and attitude

I have officially entered the public eye with my opinions and musings about the Bro subculture on our campus. About 48 hours after my first blog post was published online, a Bro confronted me about the content. He questioned my intentions, why I would write about Bros in such a way. Then I was asked if all of the Bros I know on a friendship level only serve the purpose of research. I would like to take a minute to directly address this accusation—I would be inclined to research and report on the behavior of Bros regardless of any relationships I have with any of them. If all of my guy friends that happen to be Bros were to renounce our friendship tomorrow, my blog would continue to show up every week with more observations and stories and intrigues about them.
The backlash I experienced from these Bros I know more personally was not a serious argument against my work but rather a playful jab at this seemingly preposterous and intrusive research project of mine. This highlights the fact that this subculture has been neglected compared to those who have whole books written about them such as the Straightedge subculture (a whole other set of characteristics and qualities.)
I have yet to discover another category of Bros, however, I have come across a couple of general observations I have been attempting to conceptualize.
First of all, it is popular to wear sport-shorts underneath jeans or even in lieu of boxers. I do understand the convenience of the immediately accessible sport-shorts for either reducing layers when hot or being able to jump right into a game of pick-up football or a work out routine without having to do a full-out change. However, it seems like it would be uncomfortable! The swishing of basketball shorts is an unpleasant feeling sometimes and to have the conflict of jean material and basketball short material on your skin seems like an awkward experience. It would be like… wearing a skirt under a pair of jeans – a skirt bunches up in odd ways and the feeling is very unpleasant. I may have to conduct an experiment to see how such a situation feels with looser jeans. Don’t worry. I’m on it!
Second, LAX Bros apparently are not the biggest fans of Football Bros, an unexpected development in my research. I have yet to delve into the nuances of this detestation. I did not attain any articulate evidence supporting this sentiment beyond a series of grunts and exclamations about how frustrating and awful the generalized population of Football Bros is to LAX Bros. I do not want to incite some sort of Bro smack down by putting these feelings into the open but it is all very fascinating. One would never assume from outside observation that there might be some sort of subtle stratification or hierarchy amongst Bros—a silent code of superiority and masculinity that is never outwardly expressed. What could that code possibly be?! Does it even exist?!
There are countless rules that are articulated in the Bro Code, however, in my limited experience with the recorded rules, there is no explicit literature about the nature of Bro relationships. It is obvious from the first and most well known rule of the Bro Code—Bros before Hos—that the interpersonal hierarchy starts with women on the bottom and progresses upwards. But WHO is next? The blanket term of Bros is clearly insufficient as there are different categories of Bros and, as suggested by the response of LAX bros to Football Bros, it is not an even playing field.

Cady Lang is a junior (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a journalism major with English and art history minors. Cady is currently the Editor in Chief of 360 Magazine, Ithaca College's narrative style publication. She is also a staff writer and blogger for the college's award-winning newspaper, The Ithacan and a frequent contributor to Buzzsaw Magazine, the college's alternative magazine. She also has experience as an intern for Condé Nast and Diablo Magazine. She is devoted to art, culture and brunch. She hopes to pursue to a career in magazine journalism. Follow her on twitter: @cadylang.