Meira Keil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Meira Claudia Keil

Hometown:Nyack, NY
Class:Junior
Major/Minors:Culture and Communication, double minor in Spanish and African Diaspora
Relationship status:Single (but “married” to a friend on Facebook)

What are you involved in on campus?
I am currently the Public Relations Chair for PODER (Latino Student Association). I get to make fun posters for events. It’s a good group of people and we always have fun. I’m also involved with the Committee for Inclusive Education. It’s “unofficial,” since we aren’t signed up through SGA or anything, but we are fighting for an Asian American Studies Program here at IC and just for the concept of intersectionality to be acknowledged and a holistic inclusive education. I am also the captain of a co-ed Intramural Soccer team (GO HEARTBREAKERS!). I also enjoy going to events put on by other clubs such as ALS, AAA, Spectrum etc. OSEMA is pretty cool as well. They do big things.

What do you do for fun?
Everything I’m involved with on campus IS fun for me….so when I’m not busy with that, I like to hang out with my friends and relax. I go out on the weekends when the workload isn’t too ridiculous, and if I had more free time I would spend that time drawing and making art. I like movies and popcorn. And If Ithaca was always “gorges” I’d never be inside. For fun outside of the Ithaca College life, I’m usually out of the country. I love to travel.

What inspires you?
Life in general inspires me. If you really take the time to look around you, absorb the little details and realize how grateful we can all be—that’s inspirational. But also we must acknowledge where we live and how we live, acknowledge the structural systems we all give into every day but also knowing that there is the chance and possibility to make a difference, make changes, make a movement… that really inspires me. The idea of change. Real change.

What’s one random thing that’s really important to you in a partner?
I guess in any “partner,” I’d have to see them uncomfortable and vulnerable to see how they really deal with life in general. If we are talking “serious.” But on the less-serious realm…I guess another important aspect would be their concept of the world. They have to be worldly and conscious of their identity and aware of the world around them.

Favorite love song?
I don’t like love songs. Although some may be catchy, they’re always redundant over-exaggerated and somewhat obnoxious.

What’s something you want people to know about you?
Haha, I guess that there is a lot to me.

Tessa Crisman is a sophomore (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a sociology major with Spanish, environmental studies, and Latin American studies minors. Tessa is a Spanish and Arabic tutor for Ithaca College's Academic Enrichment Services, as well as a resident assistant for Residential Life. She is also an active member of IC Intercambios, which allows her to visit local farms to teach English to migrant workers, and of the Committee for Inclusive Education, a group promoting ethnic studies programs at Ithaca College and beyond. When she's not writing papers or handing out noise violations, Tessa enjoys knitting socks, going to the farmer's market, and dancing like there's no tomorrow. She plans to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture and food justice advocacy.