Meeting the Parents: Everything You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

When you reach that point in your relationship where it’s time for your S/O to meet your parents, it’s scary for many reasons. I mean (A) you’re in a serious relationship now, go you! And (B) whose more judgmental than your parents? And I mean that in the most loving way possible. We all know our life is much easier when our parents like our S/O, for you, for them, for those awkward family dinners, etc.  It can be an angsty station for all of us. In my experience, it has always been a lot more nerve-wracking for me instead of my S/O when it’s time to meet the ‘rents, but my many awkward moments and mild panic attacks have made me somewhat of a lacking expert on the subject of prepping yourself and your S/O when it’s time to meet your parents.

1. Think about what your parents like/don’t like.

Make a mental list of things that could be brought up in conversation and things that definitely cannot. For example, if you know your S/O and parent(s) have different political views, getting into a heated debate over a nice meal could probably start up some rocky relationships. Just keep in mind your parents’ values and how they interact with each other.

2. Dress in a way that you know your parents will appreciate.

I’m not saying to make your S/O look like an entirely different person, but you do want them to look presentable; this has gone a long way, in my case at least

3. Be aware of cultural differences. 

If you S/O is from a different country, or has a different background or set of traditions that are different than your family’s, you should probably let them know. Even within the United States, people do things differently from state to state. Let you S/O know what is appropriate within cultural contexts to avoid embarrassing, or maybe even offensive moments.

4. Keep formal manner sin mind.

Sometimes we forget that we can’t curse every five minutes, or that elbows shouldn’t be on the dinner table. Just be more aware of what you are doing, and what your S/O is doing as well. After first impressions are all set and done, everything will be more relaxed, and the rigidity that comes with remembering manners starts waning.

5. Your parents will love you no matter what.

Remember, your parents will love you and support you as long as they see that you are happy and safe in your relationship. They’ll be glad you found someone who cares about you. 

Ithaca College 2018 • Journalism • International PoliticsI am from the Colombia and the Dominican Republic, have a love for monograms and monochromes. Black is my essence but greys are ok too. http://www.thepucsh.com