Lynzi’s Five: Things You Shouldn’t Have Missed From Super Bowl 47

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

1. The 108-Yard Return

Kicking off the second half the right way for Baltimore, Jacoby Jones set a record with a 108-yard kickoff return. Trucking down the field in just eleven seconds, I’m pretty sure everyone had their minds blown. How is it possible to move that fast…

2. The Blackout

Immediately following this, the Superdome seemed to have been overwhelmed from the record-breaking runs and the flawless, unforgettable Pepsi halftime show. A blackout caused a thirty-minute delay-of-game in the New Orleans stadium. Confusion poured over the teams, coaches and crowd, but it just gave us more time to bask in the glory of the performance that had just happened on the field (we’ll get to that later.)

3. Commercials

So this may be a sore subject…but were we the only ones who were less than impressed with the advertisements this year?! Yes, there were a few ones that we’ll give credit to. Audi told the underdog story about the kid that goes alone to prom, but the power of driving his dad’s new Audi S6 gives him the confidence to walk in like he owns the place and mack it with the prom queen; even if he does end up driving back with a black eye. We enjoyed Psy’s pistachio dance moves, laughed at the always-adorable eTrade baby, and cried (no shame) at the Clydesdale horse and its trainer in the Budweiser commercial. Yet we could not find the humor or appeal in the Go Daddy ad…too bizarre and not very nice to look at. But hey, it got us to remember the name, didn’t it?

4. Ah, Kaepernicking

Of course we loved watching Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick fight it out for victory in those wonderful, God-sent uniforms. Yet we were really thankful when the blackout seemed to resurge the 49ers and we got to see young Kaepernick kiss that beautiful, tatted-up bicep, a.k.a. “Kaepernicking” (because Tebowing is so last season.) But the young quarterback wasn’t able to celebrate for long; even after the San Fran clan gave the Ravens a run for their money in a near-comeback. Baltimore pulled through and came out with the 34-31 victory.

5. QUEEN BEY

And finally, let’s be real, the moment that topped Super Bowl 47. Could it be when Beyonce said to the crowd, “Put your hands toward me?” Or when Michelle and Kelly literally popped onto the stage to make it a Destiny’s Child reunion? Or was it simply when we heard the angelic voice of Jay-Z’s bride break out the first few notes of “Halo?” Whichever way you look at it, Queen Bey rocked the Superdome; if Kanye were there he would make sure that everyone knew that was the BEST halftime show they would ever see. All we can say? Beyonce 2016.

All in all, Super Bowl 47 was some great competition. A great game, bangin’ halftime show and some unusual surprises left a satisfied audience. Congratulations to the Ravens, SB47 champs!

Broadcast Journalism Major, a.k.a. TVR with a minor in Journalism. Aspiring entertainment/sports reporter. I'm crafty, I like red skittles and sometimes I wish I were Holly Golightly. Follow me on twitter, @LynziDeLuccia ! #please
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!