Keys to Success: Taglit Birthright (Winter Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Pack Wisely

Follow the packing list published by Taglit: they know what they’re talking about! On any given day the weather could change from raining to snowing, to sunshine. Different parts of the country also have very different climates. Additional Tip: No matter how many socks/underwear Taglit tells you to pack, pack at least two more pairs.

Keep an open mind

Although it’s natural and a great experience to go on Birthright with someone you already know, 80 percent of your trip will be determined by how you interact with all of the people around you. The more social you are, the more quickly you will develop your new family (all corny bullsh*t aside). The trip itself is incredible enough, but if you focus on enjoying it with the people around you, Israel will become the memorable and life changing experience you originally signed up for.

Be Welcoming!

Acknowledge the other Birthright trips and be friendly — accept them into your birthright community. Trust us, it’ll be worth it.    

(Spoiler Alert: Havdalah will be 10x better if you engage nicely and energetically.)

Don’t Beg…Haggle, Haggle, Haggle!

Israelis, as you will discover, LOVE Taglit groups for a variety of reasons. One of them, unfortunately, is that they can count on our inability to convert shekels in our head, which results in us dramatically overpaying for everything. Haggling, especially in artisan villages like Tzfat, where shopkeepers instantly hike up the price, is crucial. Don’t worry about supporting their business. Your haggled price will still probably be more than they normally charge…

Haggling Cont.: Educate Yo’self

First and foremost, your Israeli tour guide, guards and soldiers are very knowledgeable in this area. Listen to ANY advice they have about haggling. Here are some basic tips: Start with half of the price listed and slowly work your way up from this. If they are being unreasonable, say things like “I’ll come back later” or “I guess I can’t afford it” or just start to verbally second guess your interest. They will be much more receptive to haggling if they think there is uncertainty in your mind.

SLEEP

On the trip, your days will be scheduled from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. (maybe even earlier or later) and because of this, sleep is important, per usual!

Just Don’t…

Don’t shave before the Dead Sea, and don’t splash people. Please, it hurts!

WARNING: bring extra water with you incase of salt water damage to your face. Leave the sea immediately — you can return later after recovery, and possibly after eating some falafel.

Listen up!

This one is pretty simple: listen to your trip leaders, they have your best interest in mind and heart.

Eat Falafel and Shwarma

Israeli food is easily the best part of the trip. Never pass up on the best and only good falafel you will ever eat.

Journal!

Because you do so much everyday, a lot of the moments will pass you by. Bring a journal and write down everything! OR just keep a running note on your phone of funny things that people say. Also:

TAKE PICTURES! But don’t get too involved in your phone. Take the time to enjoy the sights and experiences

#HYDRATE

Take every opportunity possible to fill and drink your water bottle!!! Whether you realize it or not, the air in the middle east is EXTREMELY dry. Drinking water all of the time is the most important piece to staying healthy on Taglit.

Drink responsibly…but not for the reasons you would think

Alcohol is expensive! Save your money for nights that you are allowed/encouraged to drink and socialize. Wine and beer are always the cheapest/easiest way to enjoy the company of your friends without going overboard financially.

Shayna DePersia is from New York City. She's an Integrated Marketing and Communications major at Ithaca College's Roy H. Park School of Communications. She'd love to have a job in the creative department of an advertising agency when she graduates in 2018. While that's how she'd want to start her career off, her dreams include a talk show, and more importantly, to one day have a foster home in NYC (and expand upstate.) While she's the Social Media Director for Her Campus Ithaca (HCIC,) she loves writing articles when she can the most! P.S. You can call her Shay
Hi! I'm the Campus Correspondent for Ithaca College's Her Campus chapter and a double major in English and Politics (International Studies). I'm an equestrian, a lover of music and dance, and an aspiring writer and avid reader. While my long term goal is to teach political theory at the college level, I am planning to enter the workforce for a few years hopefully continuing to read, write, and edit. Her Campus has been my home since my freshman year, and it brings me so much joy to continue to write and run our chapter in my last year at school.