This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Animal Crossing has been around since 2001 and continues to be bought as more and more games come out every few years. It is one of the most popular games brought to the gaming community by Nintendo and has had many spinoff games such as the smartphone app: Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. The same idea is within all these games where one pretty much simply lives their lives to the best of their abilities in this world where fruits gain you enough money to buy a house. Though, what is agreed upon as to what really makes Animal Crossing amazing is their collection of great characters. Here is a list of a few things that make Animal Crossing a great game (no matter what Animal Crossing you play):

1. The Characters

The characters are one of the biggest reasons to start playing. They all have a personality type in which they’re under. But whether they’re snooty, smug, cranky or peppy, they’ll most likely bring a smile to your face. An additional bonus to the characters is that if you do enough favors and talk to them enough, they’ll give you neat little framed pictures of themselves. It’s a little self-centered, but it’s the thought that counts.

2. You CAN Pay Off Loans & It’s Easy

This is a huge plus for those of us who regularly participate in escapism from the real world. Selling fruits can only get you so far in the real world, but it can get you anywhere in Animal Crossing.

3. Traveling

There are other places to go other than just staying in your town in Animal Crossing. You can visit other towns or even an island. You visit towns through trains and the island through a boat. There are no planes currently. The world is your oyster (kind of).

4. The Puns

The puns are one of the biggest bonuses. They truly help you remember almost every fish and insect. Those trips to the museum will be much more fun with this information in your head.

5. Designing your Home

You can make your home look really cool if you put enough effort into it. This is one of the biggest points of the game (other than making friends, of course).

6. Naming your Town

You can name your town. You do so as soon as you enter as mayor. There’s no going back so choose wisely.

7. A Sense of Fulfillment

There is a complete sense of fulfillment. You catch every type of insect, every type of fish and dig up every fossil and you’re left with that feeling of ultimate satisfaction. Then you pay off your loans, your house is beautiful, sure you can improve some more, but you’re happy with how far you’ve gotten. It’s like life, except much easier.

8. Most Animal Crossing Fans are Great

The memes speak for themselves here. Just Google “Animal Crossing Memes” and you’ll have a blast.

9. The “Stalk” Market

The stalk market is for those business majors who are too stressed and/or anxious to buy stocks in the real world. It allows you to buy and sell turnips at higher and lower prices through other players’ towns or your own. You only become invested in the stalk market when you begin to lose control of your life.

10. Screenshots are Fun

This one also depends on the fans, but you can put together a few too. Being able to tell a story through screenshots from games is always fun, but the fact that the characters are all small cute animals makes Animal Crossing screenshots ten times better.

Play Wisely.

Although my name is Oyinlola, I go by Lola. I'm a Junior at Ithaca College with a major in English and minor in Psychology. I grew up around the center of Connecticut and am a first generation child of African immigrants. I very much enjoy writing about my own and others' experiences and hope to spend the rest of my life doing so.