david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Too Early for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

There’s no denying that people love Halloween. They love it so much that they make one night at the tail end of October stretch out to last the whole month. But now, Halloween is invading September and it needs to stop!

At the beginning of September, stores were already displaying Halloween decorations. The back to school season hadn’t even ended yet when stores started pushing pumpkins on everyone. I get that Halloween and fall go hand in hand and people are eager for both of them, but it’s still summer. It’s pretty hard to enjoy pumpkin spice lattes and cozy sweaters when it’s 80 degrees out, so be patient.

I get needing to buy costumes early to avoid the rush and coordinate with the squad, but I don’t get why Halloween candy is already available. It’s mid-September! Halloween is well over a month away! Anyone who buys candy this far in advance “to be prepared” is still going to have to rush to the stores at the last minute to buy candy; no one has enough willpower to let candy sit untouched for a month and a half. Think of all the candy we’re going to end up eating before October even starts. I love orange KitKats as much as the next gal, but they need to wait until it gets closer to Halloween to hit the shelves for all our sakes.

Maybe it’s because I’m not a big fan of haunted houses or horror movies, but I’m in no rush for Halloween start. Halloween decorations aren’t very aesthetically appealing (so much orange…) and we’re all too old to go trick-or-treating, so I don’t see the need to be in such a hurry for Halloween. Once October hits be as hype as you want, but for now, leave September alone.

1, 2

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.