Wellness > Sex + Relationships

I Took Myself Out On A Date And It Was The BEST DATE I’ve Ever Been On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It’s 2020 and I feel completely over the dating scene but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to go on dates. I’m just tired of leaving it up to other people to treat me well and decided to treat myself!

For my last semester in college, I have a bucket list of everything I want to do in Ithaca before I leave and one of the top things on my list is attending the Cornell vs. Harvard hockey game. So when tickets came on sale I jumped at the chance and didn’t even check with my friends to see if they wanted to go with me. 

The website kept loading and reloading and going from sold out to tickets still available. But after several tries, I got the very last ticket. 

I was so excited to go to the game, but it quickly sunk in that I’d be going alone.

For as much as I regard myself as an independent person, I don’t usually plan to go places alone. I was definitely nervous going into this game but also so excited once I realized I had somehow secured front row seats right behind the goal of this classic rivalry game for only $30. 

So what makes this game such a classic? Well, Cornell and Harvard have been rivals of the ice since the early 1900s and as the years have gone on traditions have formed and stuck such as chants like “Harvard sucks” and throwing dead fish on the ice at the Harvard players.

All of which makes this game so much more fun. There’s such much camaraderie in the crowd its hard to feel lonely. Not to mention I love watching hockey so to get to be so close to the game was so amazing. 

While I might have had even more fun sharing the experience with a good friend it definitely would not have been worth taking a date and possibly ruining the experience or missing it all together waiting for someone else’s schedule! This is a once a year game that some students ended up paying $150 for their seats. Even though I kinda missed having someone to take a photo with at the game it was nice to unplug during the game and just really enjoy my time and checking off something from my bucket list that I wouldn’t have otherwise!

2020 will definitely see more self love dates from me.  

Allaire is an inquisitive and confident lady who loves to watch reruns of her favorite shows (Bones anyone?) and enjoy the finer things in life like sand in between her toes, the sun on her skin and chocolate ice cream. Allaire is a senior Sociology major and Women and Gender Studies minor with aspirations to be a human rights lawyer and a songwriter. She is passionate about music, traveling and social justice.