I Asked for Chrome Nails and This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Take a leisurely scroll through your insta feed, and you’ll undoubtedly see the new wave of nail trends—chrome nails! Perhaps it started with Gigi Hadid’s reported $2,000 mirrored mani at The Met Gala, but celebs and beauty gurus are running towards the trend like Coachella-goers to chokers.

Being the nail art obsessed individual I am, I decided to track down the nearest salon with the ability to make my nails shine brighter than the rims of Kylie’s Tyga-gifted Ferrari. At the Ithaca Mall, I found the only salon currently offering chrome services. I took a chair and waited for the magic to happen.

After applying a glossy coat of black gel polish, a silver powder resembling pixie dust is carefully applied with a silicon nail tool. A coat of clear gel polish is applied over to seal the powder, and voilá! I now can check my lipstick while glancing at my mani..

If there is one downfall to the trend, it’s the length of time the process requires. Multiple coats of polish need to be cured by the UV lamp. Obviously, this is more time consuming than the average nail appointment, but I found the end result to be well worth the wait.

Kaitlin Watson is a pop culture expert, mascara connoisseur, and reality show enthusiast.