matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

How Teens Are Revolutionizing Gun Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Some massive change has come about recently in regards to gun control, and it’s all thanks to teenagers.

After the devastating events that claimed the lives of 17 students and faculty at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, many people, myself included, expected the gun control debate to die down after about a week or so, as is the case after most mass shootings. Instead, the survivors of the attack are using their voices to bring about change, and they are already seeing results. For instance, as of Sunday, February 25, 20 major organizations have cut ties with the National Rifle Association, including United and Delta Airlines, Hertz and several other car rental companies, the MetLife insurance company, and the bank that issued an NRA credit card, First National Bank of Omaha. Additionally, on Tuesday, February 20, President Donald Trump proposed a ban on bump stocks, after the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas pressured him to do so.

The teenagers bringing about these changes are using multiple platforms to speak out. Many MSD High School students such as Emma Gonzalez, Sarah Chadwick, David Hogg and Cameron Kasky have spoken out in news interviews and during a town hall meeting, given speeches and taken to Twitter to voice their dissent with their politicians and the NRA. In fact, the number of people following Emma Gonzalez’s official Twitter account has now surpassed those following the NRA’s.

Students from all over the country are being inspired by the Parkland teens and joining the gun control movement as well. Protests are being arranged all across the country, including school walkouts and local marches, most of which are being organized by teens, for teens. National walkouts are occurring on March 14 and April 20, and the March for Our Lives is taking place on March 24 in Washington, D.C. Protests are also being organized at varying high schools. And for those students whose parents are worried that their taking action will harm their chances of getting into college? Dozens of colleges have publicly stated that any disciplinary action taken against students participating in protests won’t change or affect any admissions decisions.

The kids from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High might very well be the force that finally turns the tide in America. 

12

Writing for Film, Television, and Emerging Media major, Women's and Gender Studies minor