This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

I’m blown away by how dirty my hairbrush gets from the build-up of products, dust, stray hairs, oil, and who knows what else. Hairbrushes are such necessary daily tools for many of us and we should take a few minutes every month to properly clean them. It turns out, this is a relatively simple process! I found a helpful YouTube video for it, too: 

Materials you will need:

• pen/pencil
  • toothbrush
  • warm water
  • shampoo
  • scissors (optional)

Instructions:

1. Begin by running a pen or pencil through the middle of the brush to dig up the product that is gunked up on the bottom. 
  2. Remove the product/gunk with your fingers and toss it out. You might need to use scissors to cut any stubborn hairs.
  3. Mix a few squirts of shampoo into a bowl of warm water (exact measurements don’t really matter as long as there is more water than shampoo and you have enough of the mixture to use for your hairbrush).
  4. Put the hairbrush over the bowl and use the toothbrush to scrub it clean. Wetting both the hairbrush and the toothbrush can make this easier. 
  5. Rinse your hairbrush and let it dry. All clean!
I am a Freshman at Ithaca College with a major in Psychology. I'm a member of Ithaca's Honors Program. I have a great passion for women's rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and human rights in general. When I'm not doing schoolwork, I'm probably catching up on the latest Jeffree Star video or binge-watching Jenna Marbles until sunrise.