Helen Murphy, Campus Tour Guide 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Year: Senior

Major: Public and Community Health

Hometown: Quincy, MA

Her Campus Ithaca College: How did you become a tour guide?

Helen Murphy: I first heard about tour guiding through friends and it initially seemed like a fun and rewarding job. The most attractive thing about it was the opportunity to interact with so many prospective students and help them on their college search- something I needed when I was looking at schools. 

HCIC: How long have you been a tour guide? 

HM:  I have been a tour guide since the beginning of my junior year.

HCIC: What is your favorite part about being a tour guide? 

HM: As much as I love interacting with prospective students and families, my favorite part about being a tour guide is getting to work with some of the best people on this campus, both admissions counselors and other students. 

HCIC: Any memorable moments while touring prospective families?

HM: I was giving a tour over this past summer and one of the moms on my tour almost got hit in the face with a frisbee. The thrower was very apologetic and luckily she had a good sense of humor but it was definitely stressful. 

HCIC: What advice do you have for anyone who wants to become a tour guide?

HM: My greatest piece of advice for anyone looking to be a tour guide would just be to be your most authentic self in the application process and be confident that you are the best person for the job. 

HCIC: What’s your favorite place to show on campus? 

HM:  I love to show Ford Hall in the music school because there are always a few families that are really wowed by it and it’s a beautiful testament to our stunning musicians.

HCIC: Where’s your favorite place to go to in Ithaca and why? 

HM: One of my favorite places to go in Ithaca is Viva Taqueria because I always see someone I know and their food is just unbeatable. 

HCIC: What do you love to do on and/or off campus? 

HM: On campus I really enjoy seeing shows at Dilingham. Off campus I love to try new restaurants and take in the live music that seems to be in the Commons almost every night. 

HCIC: Any final thoughts about your last year as a tour guide?

HM:  I’m getting pretty nostalgic as a senior for many reasons, including finishing up being a tour guide. It really is such an engaging and rewarding job on campus.