HC Ithaca Study Abroad: Happy Valentines Day from Ecuador!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

¡Feliz Dia de Amor y Amistad!—Happy Valentines Day from Ecuador! This semester I am far from my wonderful Ithaca friends studying abroad in Quito, Ecuador where out my window in the morning I see mountains instead of a lake and you only find snow at the top of volcanoes. Thanks to Tim for a great article on Valentines Day but I would like to offer one more perspective I’ve learned in South America.

Valentines day in Spanish translates to Día de San Valentín but more often than they call the holiday El Día de Amor y Amistad which means the Day of Love and Friendship. It’s a much nicer name in my opinion. One day reserved out of the whole year to remember the importance of love and friendship. It seems silly that we should need a holiday to do that but it’s a good reminder.

Our lives would sure suck without love be it in the form of your roommate, your high school friends, your sister, or your significant other. We should tell these people every day how much they mean to us but we generally take these relationships for granted plus it’s kind of awkward just to bring it up out of the blue.

I realize Valentines Day has gotten a bad name through all the commercialism and alienation of singles. I agree this version of the holiday can be pretty annoying and it is sad that a lot of that has reached South America. But I think by buying into the Hallmark version or the bitter boycott we’re missing out on great this holiday could be.

So maybe this year on the 14th of February try kickin’ it the South American way:

·      Tell your closest friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, and family how much you love them and appreciate having them in your lives.
·      If the store bought cards are too expensive or you don’t have the time to go out and buy some just get some red and white paper and make your own. This way you get a fun art project and can write an actual message personalized inside.
·      Eat some chocolate! How can we hate on a holiday where the one required food is chocolate? And later this week run to Wegmans to buy all the Valentines Day themed chocolates that go on sale. But don’t forget to share with the people you love!

Tessa Crisman is a sophomore (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a sociology major with Spanish, environmental studies, and Latin American studies minors. Tessa is a Spanish and Arabic tutor for Ithaca College's Academic Enrichment Services, as well as a resident assistant for Residential Life. She is also an active member of IC Intercambios, which allows her to visit local farms to teach English to migrant workers, and of the Committee for Inclusive Education, a group promoting ethnic studies programs at Ithaca College and beyond. When she's not writing papers or handing out noise violations, Tessa enjoys knitting socks, going to the farmer's market, and dancing like there's no tomorrow. She plans to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture and food justice advocacy.