The Great Trailer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Love, passion, deception, scandal, liquor, parties, the 1920s…May 10th could not come any sooner after I watched the third trailer for The Great Gatsby. I have been waiting for this movie ever since it was in talks and now I am more ready than ever. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels and I am ready for its big screen debut (shout out to my 11th grade English teacher for making me read this one).

From what I could tell from the trailer, I have a feeling that this will work as a movie. It seems that the creators went beyond the book and explored the characters a little more. I also see that heated chemistry between Leo and Carrie, who play Gatsby and Daisy respectively, which is very important to have. However, Tobey Maguire better be a beyond fabulous Nick because he is my favorite character in the whole novel, but no pressure Spiderman.

Aside from the movie itself, lets discuss what really caught my attention during this trailer: the soundtrack. First of all, Beyonce covering Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black” is pure genius. I love Amy’s original version but I also love Beyonce’s new spin on it. Beautifully done B. Then comes Lana Del Ray’s song and although I am not a fan of her music, this song is gorgeous. It really captures the love Daisy and Gatsby really feel for each other, plus I appreciate any song that features piano. Lastly, Florence + The Machine. This perfect ending to a fantastic trailer and it was just written for the movie (green light for those who paid attention in English class). I am obsessed with Florence’s voice and it sounded outstanding in the few minutes we heard the song. This is why I am so glad they decided to set the movie to modern music; it really adds to story in ways we never thought possible. Too bad we have to wait for the soundtrack to come out too because I cannot get enough of these songs.

With all of this said, you can now tell I am pretty excited about the release. I am always skeptical when it comes to my favorite novels transforming into movies but this time seems different. It’s such a talented cast, intriguing story with iconic characters, and a fantastic soundtrack, I really cannot see what can go wrong. If you have not watched the new trailer please click this link.

I’ll see you at Gatsby’s….

Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!