Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival Celebrates its 19th Season in Ithaca

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.
The Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF) is a highly anticipated event in Ithaca that brings a weeklong series of film screenings, performances, presentations and discussions to the Ithaca College campus and Cinemopolis downtown. Created as a festival encompassing the passions and curiosity of Ithaca College and the town of Ithaca itself, FLEFF continually attracts creative and innovative minds from around the world. Held from March 28 through April 3, the theme of FLEFF this year was Landscapes. It explored the possible diversity of landscapes and how they can shape a region’s character and culture.

Kicking off the week’s festivities was a lecture presented by artist and “self-trained” biologist Paul Vanouse. The talk centered around the intriguing field of biological art, and the various projects the Coalesce Center for Biological Art at the University of Buffalo — which is directed by Vanouse — is taking on. Vanouse explained how biological artists are unique in that they utilize live tissues, bacteria, living organisms, or life processes to create their artwork. Vanouse’s biological artwork uses DNA as a medium to create various images using a technique called electrophoresis, which presents DNA fragments that have been passed through a gel as light bands of various intensities. The work he and other biological artists are doing around the world incorporates the often considered opposite disciplines of art and science in a way that is accessible to individuals from all backgrounds.

One of IC’s very own, associate professor Mara Alper, created a film featured in the festival. Sacred Waters of Bali is a strictly visual documentary that explores the culture and customs of the picturesque Indonesian island. Alper addressed a class of Ithaca College students before the screening, expressing her love for water and what inspired her to make the film. As a strong advocate of water conservation projects across the globe, Alper was feeling discouraged by the many depressing statistics related to a lack of clean, useable water in many areas. Instead of letting her feelings of despair get her down, however, Alper decided to create Sacred Waters of Bali as a way to celebrate the amazing and beautiful resource that is water. The twenty-minute film is a series of pictures and videos highlighting the tropical landscape of the island and the ways in which natives celebrate water in their everyday lives. Almost all of the Balinese religious ceremonies are centered on water, making it something sacred and revered in their culture. With images of ornate architecture, vividly colored flowers, and intricately patterned traditional dress, the film accurately captures Bali’s commitment to beauty. A quote at the end of the film truly captures this pillar of Balinese culture: “If you make things beautiful, the gods will visit.”

The diverse lineup of lectures, films and performances show how FLEFF is one of many events in Ithaca that allow students to learn about and explore various cultures, customs and ways of life from all over the world.

1, 2, 3, 4