Fashion Week Beyond the Big Apple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Here in the United States, everyone is all about New York Fashion Week once it rolls around. This year’s Spring 2017 Ready-to-Wear collections proved to be yet another strong year for NYFW, but fashion around the world deserves some love too.

London Fashion Week followed New York with daring designs like bold sleeves from Marques’Almeida and Christopher Kane. Designers Mulberry and Preen showcased uneven, jagged hemlines. Other designers experimented with unique accessories, like the single earrings as seen on the runways of Simone Rocha and JW Anderson.

Milan wowed with diverse fashion that received praise from the fashion industry icon and Vogue editor Anna Wintour. Her favorites included slipper shoes from Dolce & Gabbana, quirky prints from Prada and vibrant colors from Versace. Wintour also praised the model diversity featured in Bottega Venetta’s collection and the women empowerment that graced Versace’s runway.

So far, Paris Fashion Week has been marked by unique and out-of-the-box statements from numerous designers. Rick Owens’ collection was inspired by climate destruction. His quirky pieces imitated whirlpool and cloud shapes, creating a striking extraterrestrial vibe on the runway. Balmain did not disappoint either, showcasing geometric shapes, rich colors and asymmetrical lines.

Still to come is Arab Fashion Week’s “Ready-Couture” collections, which feature both local Arab designers and international ones. Along with the shows in New York, London, Paris and Milan, Arab Fashion Week in Dubai showcases some of the world’s highest profile designers.

12, 3, 4

Ithaca College 2018. Integrated Marketing Communications.