This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Being in a new relationship (or old for that matter) with a bad texter can lead to impending anxiety. Do they not care? Maybe they’re busy…I wonder if they’ve seen it yet…What if they are ignoring me? Too often then not I find myself debating whether or not to double text. However, the cons always seem to suggest that I might come off as too crazy or clingy. Too often I feel pressured to keep up the appearence as the “chill girl” even though inside I am spontaneously combusting from overthinking. 

I have since composed a short checklist/tips to decifer whether or it is appropriate to double text and how:

Evaluate the conversation

Where did you end the conversation? Was it stagnating? If the conversation didn’t seem to be going anywhere productive, I typically choose to wait until the next day to reintroduce a topic. If the conversation was still engaging, and they just neglected to respond, I will wait maybe 30 minutes before sending another text adding to the discussion.

Give your mind a break

Put your phone down, and engage with people around you. When your mind isn’t occupied it is more difficult to stress over replies. Don’t let the virtual world distract from what’s right in front of you. Watch a movie, go for a hike, hang out with friends. Chances are, if your S.O isn’t texting you back, they are probably doing the same. 

Suggest other forms of communication

For some people, texting is just too much. If you know your S.O is a bad texter, maybe suggest Facetiming or calling once a day instead. Your conversations will be much more focused and engaging and you will enjoy each other’s time (as well as the rest of your day) a lot more. 

Communicate (in person)

Make sure your S.O knows that you’re frustrated. Talk the problem out and figure out real solutions that work for the two of you. You can’t expect someone to fix a problem that they aren’t aware of, so talk it out!

1, 2

Hi! I'm the Campus Correspondent for Ithaca College's Her Campus chapter and a double major in English and Politics (International Studies). I'm an equestrian, a lover of music and dance, and an aspiring writer and avid reader. While my long term goal is to teach political theory at the college level, I am planning to enter the workforce for a few years hopefully continuing to read, write, and edit. Her Campus has been my home since my freshman year, and it brings me so much joy to continue to write and run our chapter in my last year at school.