This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

The worst part of spring cleaning is parting with the things hanging from your closet or in the back of your dresser drawer. Getting rid of clothes is hard, you spent money on it and you never know if they’re going to come back in style ever again. But honestly, clearing up space in your closet either to declutter or make room for your midnight shopping sprees is a refreshing feeling, and it’s also a way of truly defining your style. 

After every semester, I clean out my closet of things I have not used or rarely used throughout the semester, even if I think they’re pretty. Thene again if I actually did, I would have probably worn them. I usually have a porcess that every time I wear something that hangs out of my closet I change the way the hangers look, if by the end of the month there’s something I have not worn, I’ll evaluate if I haven’t worn it becuase it’s not season (weather appropritate) or becuase I simply woulnd’t really wear it. If I wouldn’t wear it, I put in in a little box I have in the back of my room.

When it comes to clothes in my dresser, the process is a little different. Every drawer in my dresser is divided into three sections. Every time I wear something, I move the shirt, sweater, or pant to the right. If the item stays in it’s same place throught the month, I take it out and put in the box. My drawers are also divided into shirts, sweaters and pants, so it’s easier to figure out if I haven’t worn something due to how cold or warm it is outside. 

Sometimes it’s hard deciding to get rid of things because I convince myself I’ll actually wear it. If you have to force yourself to imagine when and where you’ll wear a top, you’re probably not going to put it on at all.

Once I have my box of forgotten clothes, it’s time to attack the thirft stores. Ithaca is surrounded by thrift shops, anything from Plato’s Closet to Trader K’s and even the Re-Use center takes clothes. Plato’s Closet and Trader K’s will usually give you a better price for your clothes, and they’re usually looking for things they themsevles can sell. For example, don’t take your thickest knit sweater in the middle of july, they’ll porbably take it, but they probably won’t be happy about having to take it. Also, be aware the Plato’s Closet has an already set price rage for items depending on the brand and its condition, so be wary of subjective salsepeople who don’t follow the set parameters (it’s happened to me).

At the end of the day, you have a cleaner closet and a little more money in your pocket. 

1, 2, 3

Ithaca College 2018 • Journalism • International PoliticsI am from the Colombia and the Dominican Republic, have a love for monograms and monochromes. Black is my essence but greys are ok too. http://www.thepucsh.com