Culture > News

The Biggest Little Game Sets Division III Attendance Record

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

The annual friendly football game between Ithaca College and SUNY Cortland reached new heights this year. On the occasion of the 61st Cortaca Jug IC won by a huge margin of 32-20 and the game broke the record of the most attended Division III football game with 45,161 people as spectators. To that, I have to say: GO BOMBERS! 

This was a huge win for the bombers not only because it was their third consecutive win but because they won in MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. A game far from home yet attended mostly by supporters of Ithaca College. While many Cortland fans and supporters could be seen in the parking lot and surrounding areas of the stadium their presence was underwhelming within the stadium itself. Whereas IC fans were in full swing supporting their beloved Bombers on a sunny but chilly day in East Rutherford. The weather was a nice change from the grey clouds in Ithaca and the chill was broken by the energetic vibe in the stadium. 

I’ll confess, this was my first ever American Football game but *damn* was it eventful. The sun was shining, the people were pumped and most of all Bombers were winning. Bombers began with a massive lead on the Red Dragons and ended with the same. While there came a time when we were close at 26-20 we restricted them to the same score and ended with a bang. Fans came from across states to witness the biggest Cortaca game to date. It was obvious, when one took a look around, that there were alumni from all over the country with their friends and family to witness this historic event. It was interesting to see the contrast between the sweet mini-reunions of the alumni and the energy-filled current student of both schools. 

The Half-Time show was a highlight as the brave dancers in the African Drumming Ensemble performed in the freezing cold for 35,000 people in a legendary location. While cheerleaders for both the Bombers and the Red Dragons performed their routines and kept the audience engaged. It’s safe to say the Biggest Little Game won many hearts that day. 

Rwail Sirmed

Ithaca '22

Rwail is a sophomore majoring in Psychology. Born and raised in Pakistan, she is an active part of the social justice movement there. Rwail aspires to be a forensic psychologist maybe working for international intelligence in the future. She likes to travel, write and occasionally cry over romcoms.
Allaire is an inquisitive and confident lady who loves to watch reruns of her favorite shows (Bones anyone?) and enjoy the finer things in life like sand in between her toes, the sun on her skin and chocolate ice cream. Allaire is a senior Sociology major and Women and Gender Studies minor with aspirations to be a human rights lawyer and a songwriter. She is passionate about music, traveling and social justice.