Beyoncé Turns 35: Celebrating Queen B’s Top 5 Greatest Performances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

In honor of Beyoncé’s birthday on Sept. 4, let’s throw it back to some of her greatest performances from the past ten years. While the beehive can produce a sharp sting when they are crossed, hopefully we can all agree on these top five productions below from the Queen B herself.

1. ‘If I Were A Boy’ at the 2008 Grammy Awards

This performance proves that she is not only a great artist, but also a great entertainer and performer all around. The choreography is so tight and crisp with every movement looking fluid yet equally precise in its direction. Look out for an epic hair flip that only Beyoncé can do best at the 4:45 mark, no less during a cover of Alanis Morissette’s song “You Oughta Know.”

2. ‘Run the World (Girls)’ at the 2011 Billboard Music Awards

The preparation and choreography that went into this performance was featured in her 2013 documentary special, “Life is but A Dream.” The highlight of the documentary was seeing how the choreography for a song is chosen and tirelessly practiced, in this case even minutes before the live show to make sure it is foolproof. If you’re starting to see a trend emerging, that’s because Beyoncé’s choreography is always on point due to her impeccably high standards and unwavering passion to her creative craft.

3. ‘Love on Top’ at MTV’s 2011 Video Music Awards

If we’ve learned something from seeing Beyoncé perform over the years, it’s that each live performance of a song has one moment that standouts from the rest. At the end of this special performance, she revealed she was pregnant with her first child, Blue Ivy, by revealing her baby bump to the massive crowd, including an elated Jay-Z, along with Kanye West and Lady Gaga.

4. ‘Pretty Hurts’ performed live at the ‘On the Run’ World Tour

‘Pretty Hurts’ is a song that is packed with a lot of emotion; its power is observed within its broader meaning that showcases the pressure society demands of women to exist without any flaws or blemishes. Compared to her other performances, this one is a stripped down version where the focus is predominantly on the message that is conveyed through the song’s powerful and emotive lyrics.

5. ‘Say My Name’

Throwing it way back to a Destiny’s Child classic, this performance of ‘Say My Name’ will have you wishing it was 1998 all over again.

PC: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6