Best Ways to Make Espresso at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

If you’re a coffee snob like me, you have a Keurig in your apartment or dorm room and yet you’re amazed every semester at the amount you spend on lattes and iced coffees. Well never fear, there’s some great ways that you can make delicious coffee at home.

Espresso Machine

If you want to go all out but don’t want to spend a lot of money, check out this affordable espresso machine (some of them can cost more than $1,000). This machine by Mr. Coffee gets great reviews and allows you to pull four espresso shots AND steam your milk for a latte! Add some chocolate or caramel syrup and it’s like you have a Starbucks barista right in your kitchen.

Stovetop Espresso

Stovetop kettles don’t make actual espresso shots because the water pressure doesn’t get high enough to produce espresso, but this is the next best thing — trust me. They’re much more affordable than an automatic espresso machine and you won’t even taste the difference unless you’re a true espresso connoisseur. Plus, you can just add some warm milk and syrups for an awesome latte.

Coffee Creamers

If you’re just looking to add some flavor to your boring dark roast, try one of these awesome coffee creamers! CoffeeMate makes some great holiday flavors that you can pour in your coffee and skip the milk…and that line for a gingerbread latte!

Starbucks Coffee Jugs

If you really don’t care for hot coffee even in the winter, Starbucks has an option just for you. Their iced coffee jugs come in a variety of flavors and you can buy them at the grocery store! They’re 48oz, the perfect size for a mini fridge and are super easy to just pour in a mug when you’re on the go!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Tara Stacy

Ithaca '18

I love coffee, fashion and brunching