This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Name: Angela Otieno 

From: Nairobi, Kenya 

Relationship status: TBD 

What do you do for ASA?

I am aspiring to become a student ambassador for ASA and am part of the Africa Week planning committee.

What is Africa week about?

Africa week is a celebration of Africa that we have every year. It is centered around different themes. This years theme is ‘Embracing Pan-Africanism” and the weeks events will seek to convey the theme.

What does Embracing Pan-Africanism mean to you?

As an international student, from the African continent, I see that there is a lot of separation within the African continent itself that a lot of people don’t seem to understand, and through EPA we’re able to form a untied front.

What are the events for the week?

Monday, April 11: Frictions in the Diaspora.

Tuesday, April 12: 1 AM: the film, with a discussion with the film’s producer. 

Wednesday, April 13: Spotlight Africa. It is a showcase of African success.

Thursday, April 14: Panafrican Bazar. Showcase of different trinkets of different cultures within the African continent. You can also buy things! 

Saturday, April 16: Ujamaa Banquet at Hotel Ithaca. No need to buy tickets but we will be tabling at Campus Center for free tickets.

What do you miss the most about home?

The food, the weather, and being able to feel the warmth of the sun. I also just miss the vibe of being home. 

1

Ithaca College 2018 • Journalism • International PoliticsI am from the Colombia and the Dominican Republic, have a love for monograms and monochromes. Black is my essence but greys are ok too. http://www.thepucsh.com