5 Tips for Staying Alert in Your Morning Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

8:00 a.m.s…You think you can handle them, but you can’t. Even 9:00 a.m. and sometimes 10:00 a.m. classes can feel impossible when you’ve been up late the night before. As a self-proclaimed night owl who rarely wakes up before noon on weekends, here are five helpful tips I’ve found for staying alert and getting the most out of those dreaded morning classes.

1. Eat breakfast

It may seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but eating a good breakfast before class can help you feel more awake and alert. It’s called the most important meal of the day for a reason! Foods full of protein like eggs and peanut butter toast give you the energy you need to get through the day. Even a quick granola bar or an apple is better than nothing. Just make sure you don’t skip breakfast if you don’t want to snooze through an early lecture.

2. Drink warm liquids

Even if you’re not a coffee person, warm liquids in the morning help wake you up. Find whatever you like to sip on, whether that’s tea, hot cocoa or your favorite Starbucks latte to give yourself a nice boost in the morning. Having a cute travel mug you love to carry around helps too!

3. Wake up earlier

It seems crazy that waking up earlier helps you feel more alert, but giving yourself as much time as possible to wake up and get ready in the morning will make those 8:00 a.m.s easier. Allow yourself time to fully wake up before leaping out of bed, and spend some time in the mornings doing something you love, whether that’s reading a bit of news or catching up on the latest episode of your favorite TV show. It’ll help engage your brain and make those classes feel like a breeze.

4. Shower in the morning

The age-old debate over night showers versus morning showers does often fall onto personal preference, but showering in the morning definitely helps keep you alert in morning classes. The water helps wake you up, and feeling fresh and clean can help you feel less like you just rolled out of bed and more like you’re ready to take on the world.

5. Dress to impress

It’s easier to fall asleep in sweats than in jeans, right? A more put-together outfit will leave you feeling more confident and prepared for the day. That doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable; just make sure your outfit resembles more of, well, an outfit rather than pajamas. It’s surprising how much easier it is to pay attention when you’re dressed to impress.

There you have it: five easy tips to staying alert in your morning classes. These simple changes can really make all the difference when it comes to facing down 8:00 a.m.s.

1, 2, 3

Writing for Film, Television, and Emerging Media major, Women's and Gender Studies minor